Forced to buy HP:( need powersupply advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swann

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I was hopeing someone could advice me... To sum up, I WAS in the middle of saveing to build my own custom super computer... but my father gave me 1700.00 gift card to circuit city. :( I told him not to. But in the moment I thought it would be rude to remind him.

Anyways, I went ahead and purchased a HP's q6600 quad core intel Buy the HP Pavilion Elite M9150F Desktop PC and other Desktop computers at circuitcity.com

Anyways, I had them put another gig of ram in it, to make of total of 4gigs. Then I saw that there is only a 350watt powersupply in it, when the tech at the circuit opened the case to install the ram. I called hp technical support, later that night, to find out physical dimensions of the slot where the power supply fits, so that I could upgrade it (They, because if i do it, it voids my warrany). In doing so the lady that was helping me read that the max Output was 460watt. THIS WAS NOT ON any documentation durring the purchase of the computer. Am I correct in thinking that this will not cut it when and if I can upgrade its Geforce 8500 to a better gamer video card..8800 ect. Hp Tech did say I could put a 500wat in it but its at my own risk. Should I take it? might aswell put a 610watt in that case? How do I figure out the max powersupply I can use? is the max output of 460watt that HP tech read me carved in stone? I can't tell you the mother board brand in the thing, because its just identified by a bunch of code/numbers, and you know HP wont tell me. I might see if I can return it for cash, but I dought they will.

please advise! will a 460watt cut it for gameing? or take the chance and put a 500-610watt in it.

Thank Swann

i wouldnt trust any HP power supply to run a high end card

but, you just need to find out of the PSU is a standard atx psu, if it is, then you can go ahead and pick up any other standard atx psu and screw it in there

you can get away w/ a really good 450-550 watt power supply to run just about any video card

Nothing to worry about, man. The hardest part of swapping a PSU is unplugging and replugging the wires.

Yes, you will void the warranty, but we promise not to tell.

^^^ Agreed. as long as they have an ATX PSU, and not some proprietary format, just a few screws and wires will have a new one swapped in. If you DO have trouble, simply keep the original PSU onhand, and swap it back in the case before taking the PC in... :D

can you recommend a psu with enouph 12v rails that will last, and are they all pretty standard in dimensions. I need to make sure it will fit. I was told to get a PC power and Cooling silencer 610W but I think its physically to big to fit. ? What in the 500w psu range should I buy? Is there a way for me to tell if the psu in it is a standard atx, without asking HP??

It was about 1180.00, then after warranty and taxes, came with the 8500. It came out to aobut 1700.00. I'm just half scared because I dont know what kinda MB is in the thing. Is there a list somewhere that tells me what the secret HP code is thats printed on the board.

I'm thinking of going with the corsair vx 550W.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

What do you think?
I called them to make sure their is not a fan on top of the PSU, because I dont have alot of space above where the PSU fits.

IF I upgrade the Video card, any of the 8800 GT's will get me threw the door right? looking to spend around than 300.00 on a card.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom