Configuring Media/Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazykiller

Solid State Member
Hey, I am building a high-end gaming/media PC. I found my everything I need but was wondering, I am going to use an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ and an MSI K9N SLI Platinum Motherboard. I found a graphics card called the Palit GeForce 8800 GT Super+1GB card. Would they be compatible. I mean they are SLI compatible and stuff.

And also, what would be a good sound card for gaming and media.

Thanks so much!

Its compatible, but some boards have trouble posting with newer CPU's like the 6400+ check the reviews for the Board to see if it supports the 6400+ out of the box, or if you need to Flash the BIOS to the latest version (which means you'd need an older AM2 CPU to do it)

It looks like its gonna post, but you still should flash the BIOS, because a review says that it didn't read the CPU Multiplier correctly, it says it capped at 14x when it should be at 16x, so you should Flash it to get the right speed

That Palit 1GB is supposed to be not any better than a 512mb at all normal resolutions and isn't worth the extra money. They are relying on the 1GB spec alone to draw people in and make the sell. You'd be better off getting a 8800GT or GTS 512MB

Thanks guys!

If I where to stick with the AMD processor, what would be a good motherboard.

If there isnt anything then I will flash the bios.

didn't catch that, I just saw he said is it compatible, but yes, the Palit does overclock better, and the 1gb is OVERKILL, you only need it at high resolutions, but even then, the 512mb is more than enough (actually in some cases the Palit loses to the regular 512mb at the same speed, but not noticeable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom