ghosting a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
hey guys.. i have norton ghost 2001, but it doesn't work with xp pro.. First thing is first.. is there a free program I can download that will copy a whole iso (ghost it)? Second, can i copy the iso to the other drive where i will then be using the backedup data? Must I have cds to burn on? because i don't have any =/.. Perhaps a brief description on how to do it or tell me a program i can use for free would be great, TIA!

*edit* ok i'll probably figure this out on my own.. but i was hoping i could image it right to another drive and wala.. but i guess it only copies as an iso.. so from there, how do i continue?

well after you make your image you should be able to copy it to a HDD and keep that as a back up. ghost should have a option to make a boot floppy for this and then when you wish to restore plug the HDD in and boot with the floppy

right on.. well i figured out that i'm going to be copying it to another computer, and then back to the new drive.. but the problem is.. with norton 2003... i've tried like 20 random drivers and none work to boot up the nic card in dos.. i've tried the only 3 realtek drivers that the program has to offer, and i've also tried a newer nic card, and still it's not working.. norton sucks heh

Use a program called Drive Image by Paragon, heaps better than Ghost, DI will do all O/S's and all file formats.

Your bios and nic card have to be network bootable for that to work thats is prolly why it isnt working

Demalii said:
.. i have norton ghost 2001, but it doesn't work with xp pro..

Ghost 2003 support NTFS. Upgrade from 2001 to 2003 and you'll be fine. I don't really think Drive Image is better than Ghost. they use Ghost Corporate Edition over a network on our school and its really cool.

Owning both, Drive Image is better IMO it works with all file formats and all operating systems as said. much simpler interface so less mistakes for the beginner, no upgrades needed $50 AUD.

Sure corporate editions of anything are usually better but generally out of the reach of the average user both in availability, eligilability being a corporate product not to mention price.

But like all things to each their own personal preferance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom