Upgrading from x850xt 256mb, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah I never read Newegg reviews because I don't really trust their reliability, but I went to Sapphire's site and its right, its a 256bit card, OUCH is all I got to say, they don't even have the HIS Tech ones OMFG!!

so its hd2900pro vs hd3850 at stock speeds which is almost exactly the same, I'd just get the hd3850 because it consumes less power and is quieter

EDIT: I feel like an idiot!

My motherboard has PCI-express16, but not PCI 2.0 (i believe)

I think this rules out all hd3850 unless PCI2.0 plugs into PCI express 16? Heres the link to my motherboard: Newegg.com - ABIT AW8 LGA 775 Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I read here that PCI2.0 video cards are backwards compatible with PCI express 16 1.1+, but not 1.0 and 1.0a. However, I cannot figure out what version of PCI-express16 I have. I checked the manufacturers website here Universal abit USA - Products but found nothing. Any ideas?

EDIT2:
If I am right and my motherboard isnt compatible with the hd3850, and considering my PSU (Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!, which of these two cards would be the better bang for the buck? Thanks for the help again, and sorry for the bad info on my part.

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR X1950PRO512MBAC Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100222L Radeon HD 2900PRO 512MB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

from what I've read, the current 2.0 cards don't even really take advantage of 2.0 yet, they've benched the same card in a 1.1 and 2.0 slot and the gains were miniscule. I think this may be different with the coming dual gpu cards like the 9800gx2 and 3870x2, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom