Vista already being replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's already several open source programs MS could snap up for so many things. If not that, they should at least look into some of them and "emulate" them. The 'Paint' drama (with tongue firmly in cheek) gives a good example. Paint.Net would be a great replacement, and take up less room on the hard drive.

Build in or give the option for stuff like multi-client IMs (Trillian, Gaim, whatever) and defraggers (DiskKeeper, O&O) and you would have a better over-all product. At least then I wouldn't have to install all the extra stuff I use. Right now I have both because you can't remove the Windows components with "seriously damaging the operating system."

and even if they do get rid of paint you can always dual boot with XP and 7 and when you like to mess around in paint just go to xp. although this would get very annoying to do after a while

I like backwards compatability.... But it is funny how Starcraft works almost perfect in Vista and Diablo 2 LOD = total ***** and it's newer than starcraft...

I also droped Linux because it wasnt supported in all catagories yet such as youtube vids, flash games, if linux had good support in those areas well i'd probably be full Linux.
Linux has Flash version 9 just like windows. I don't have any trouble watching youtube vids and playing Flash games. Playing top of the line commercial games is a different story, though.

and even if they do get rid of paint you can always dual boot with XP and 7 and when you like to mess around in paint just go to xp. although this would get very annoying to do after a while
Ha, Ha. Dual boot just for MS Paint!

I think it's dissapointing that Windows is still supporting 32 bit. Generally, any system that is capable of running the operating system well will have 64 bit capabilities... so why continue the trend of supporting this? It only hurts driver support by making companies design two sets of drivers.

That is the truth. Microsoft isnt forcing anyone to upgrade. Read the articles about how DX10 is years away from making a true impact.

Granted there are games and hardware out there now but you dont HAVE to do it. You CHOOSE to do it.

Only reason why i upgraded? Well first i had a pirated version...but then i got full legit copies for free. So why not upgrade then?

Yes or no depends on each individual's own definition of "force". Some people feel force at different levels of pressure. When MS stops supporting my OS, and I need to reinstall and re-update, then I'm no longer able to access all the related stuff I need.

I also think it was kind of strange, that MS discontinued Support for Win ME same date as they discontinued it for Win 98. Me came out 2-3 yrs after 98, so the support should've continued 2-3 yrs longer, or at least notified us at the time of original purchase, they were going to pull this on us.

I've got a 20 yr old personal computer that still runs great. And a 12 yr old computer that runs good. But anything more recent than that, and the PC's useful lifespan keeps getting shorter.

It's probably not all Microsoft's fault. Some PC hardware, and much software keeps getting more complex. So backward compatibility becomes harder.\

To me, 5-7 yrs between OS replacements would be acceptable. And an 8-12 yr product support cycle would be acceptable. But we've been getting only about half that from the main OS provider - MS.

I guess it's a two-edged sword. If you want the latest and the most convenient, there are associated costs, and not all are monetary.

I invest quite a lot of time to get to know an OS well. I don't like to have to throw a lot of that knowledge down the drain every 3-5 yrs, just because one OS supplier has a near monopoly on the market, and wants to generate more revenue for a batch of new tweaks; or sometimes, mostly a batch of fixes for glitches in their last OS.

Some interesting bits about 7 from different sources:

{
WINDOWS 7 NEWS
PC PRO - IT News & Reviews
}

THE feedback image - 1798_early_feedback.png, LARGE

This is interesting:

"
Hilton Locke, Tablet PC Test Engineer at Microsoft, recently commented on his impressions of the "touch features" of the Windows 7 comparing it against those seen on the iPhone from Apple.

Hilton says in his blog "I will say that if you are impressed by the "touch features" in the iPhone, you'll be blown away by what's coming in Windows 7. Now if only we could convince more OEMs that Windows Touch Technology is going to drive their sales."
"

Also, some of the feedback's cool/useful, like:

• infinite desktop (I can imagine it - it's like some flash web-sites, where you can zoom into the site and uncover layers and layers and layers of stuff...)
  • scrap the Registry - store settings with the software
  • dll files should be held in the application folder. THerfore no messing with my fast core system
  • send deleted stuff automatically to the recycle bin, if I want it back I'll go get it, don't give me a friggin' decision box every time
  • a "configs" folder; store all application configurations there, not all over the shop
  • no applications as part of the OS. I'm referring to Internet Explorer, Media Player, and all the other ones tied in to Microsoft. Fair enough, have them as optional components, but there's no excuse to make them an intrinsic part of it
  • tabbed explorer

and some just plain stupid:

• recycle bin should fill up visually
  • include Pinball
  • screen resolution saved in profile

So, what is YOUR WISH LIST?

Linux has Flash version 9 just like windows. I don't have any trouble watching youtube vids and playing Flash games. Playing top of the line commercial games is a different story, though.

Ha, Ha. Dual boot just for MS Paint!

What distro of linux were you running? i was running ubuntu 7.10 aka Gutsy.

Hah i know some MS paint enthusiasts that would go as far as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom