Identifying unreadable capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was $5 + $10 shipping. Yeah, they could be friend, but seeing how many components there are on the motherboard, and i only need two, the odds are with me that those two aren't the problem on the board i bought. I guess maybe i'll get lucky, maybe I won't

-Matt

there aren't any numbers on top of the capacitors , theres either a black or navy blue cover around the capacitor which tells you how much volts it uses and etc. If cant identify it then look at other working capacitors that are same size and diameter. Dell wont fix that kind of problem, if its under warranty they will replace the motherboard, but if you don't have any warranty you will have to look at different motherboards to find matching capacitors. you wont find the same capacitors in Radio Shack or any where else so dont bother looking for them in stores. Trust me i went through the same hassle.

I agree about the location of info on capacitors and what categories the info refers to. However I had a somewhat different experience, about the availability of new capacitors.

About 3 of 6 capacitors of one type on my motherboard, have bulging ends. So I recorded the data off them and went to Fulton Electronic Supply store here in town. They had the same capacitors in stock. There were two versions with the same electrical capacities. However, one version was for high operating temperatures. My orig capacitors were too, so that's what I got.

Radio Shack didn't have anything even close to what I needed. They used to have a better range of stock in local stores. Their catalog didn't have what I needed either.

As for installing the capacitors, I'm still trying to get my software all running well and data backed up, before I start hacking the old capacitors out. Not too keen on desoldering, since I think most mobo components like this are batch soldered by automated machine, with precision and movement not easily duplicated by hand. If I can, I'll clip the old capacitors off, crimp-splice the new ones on, then solder the connection above the board, rather than thru the board, which could damage the tiny circuit paths on the board. But it's hard to get a nippers under those little capacitors, when some of them are so close to each other, or to other components.

I would have just gotten a replacement motherboard. But compatible motherboards on an 8 yr old machine are not available in new inventory. And tracking down used motherboards with identical features, seems impractical.

This is not a recently replied thread. However if I found it and the info was helpful, others may find it in the future as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom