2nd hard drive missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatchicken53

Beta member
A few days ago my computer was working fine. I open My Computer and to my surprise, my 2nd hard drive wasnt there. My primary drive is a Maxtor 6Y080P0 and the second drive giving me trouble is a Westewn Digital WD 800LB.
This setup was working fine for a year. I first checked the jumpers and bios, but everything checked out ok. The hard drive is recognized in device manager but that is it. I ran Max Blast 3 that came with my Maxtor drive to see if I can see it that reads the drive. It does read the drive, except it read both drives as C and wont let me format. I have stuff on the drive I want to save and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

"I open My Computer and to my surprise, my 2nd hard drive wasnt there" <--- lol, i like how thats worded... sounds like, u opened up your case.. and someone stole your HD out of your pc. lol i know wat it means though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if u go to start/settings/conrtol panel/admin tools/computer manager/disk maneger... is the disk displayed at unformatted?... if its still formatted, maybe u can just assign it another drive letter.

Disk manager won't even read it. The HD only shows up in bios and device manager. And there when I go to properties for the drive and go to volumes, it says it is unreadable.

wat about in... control panel/admin tools/event viewer... i remember wen i used a realy realy old 4gig disk, there would be an entry in event viewer warning me that the disk is about to fail. i know yours isnt that old, but maybe there is an entry in there that may give u some clues.

some one else can prolly better help u to retrieve ur data if posible.

but if u wont to format it, u maybeable to by using Disk part... unless it doesnt recognize it like disk manager.

in the command prompt, Start/accessories/command prompt... type (diskpart), then (list disk), and see if its listed.u can format it from there, but i forget the exact perameters, thy can prolly be found on the net easily.

Here is something else for you to try. Maybe your drivers got corrupted. Enter device manager and delete your HDD driver then reboot. Windows should now recognize it as new device and reinstall the proper drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom