Home Edition Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh?

that's just simply not true. I can't find my old post for the old forum to explain it better and it had all of the different version of xp. I got a million xp discs. I have dell, gateway sony, ibm, lenovo (same thing), oem, retail, media center home and pro pre and post sp2 disc. people had these same issues before sp2. key are tied to specific version of xp. sp2 doesn't have anything to do with it although they did add some new serials to oem sp2. they are backward incompatible. the new serial won't work with oem sp1 install, but these new disc still recognizes the older keys

I use these xp discs to give everybody their legal version back

BTW I slipsteam all of my old discs to update them.

an example. you will never get any other version of xp to recognize a ibm serial. you need an ibm specific disc or their I386 folder on the xp drive.

again oem will recognize most different brand of serial but not all

ChemicalMonkey just simply downloaded the wrong disc
Yes you are right that keys are tied to a specific version. I can not use my MCE serial for my Pro install. Just as i cant do teh opposite.

But i have had troubles trying to use a post SP2 serial on my Pre-SP1 disc. This disc i have is a original and i know the serial is legit yet it will not accept the serial at all. That is why i made my statement. But if i use a SP2 disc it will accept the serial.

I knwo what you are saying but at the same time i know that this situation has personally happened to me. So it can happen. If you have one of the very first XP serials you can run into trouble with newer discs. As that serial may have been put on a black list. Who knows. but using a older disc will allow it to be used and activated.

I fully agree with you that the serials are tied more to a version (IE Home to Home, Pro to Pro and MCE to MCE) but that doesnt explain how i can use a first generation Disc with a brand new serial and not allow to install.;)

I was telling mak that when they came with those post sp2 keys that the the disc was still backward compatible with the old serials, but the new serial wasn't not compatible with the old sp1 discs

I must have missed this. I have never tried a old serial with a new disc. I have tried new serial with a old disc and have run into trouble. As i explained above. I think this might have something to do with the version that i am using. It is a MSDN copy and not a retail copy that i have used to install. It is most likely that difference is what is causing this issue for me.

me and mak something disagree. yet we are always respectful of each other.

Yes this is true. We have disagreed. But at the same time we are very respectful of each others opinion. Case in point this thread. There is several Vista threads like this as well. We both know that each has a ton of knowledge to share and that the other knows their stuff. Dont always have to fight to share your thoughts and opinions to figure out the solution. Eric and myself may aruge but we always try to get to the common solution. The one that fixes the problem.

ChemicalMonkey.....did you downlaod a XP Home copy?

lol, some people
but like I said, you do not need what you claim people need. Although it would make it easier...you really do not. If you don't know that and don't know or understand what to look for or what is needed, that's not my problem :D

some people really do need to loosen up...said people can never really seem to and always seem so angry, hehe. And yes, I know...I do what I do but you don't argue with anybody....gotcha, lol

here's my censored list I go by, but yes I have no clue what I ever talk about :D

English please, while you are posting proof to prove my point exactly

lol, have reading comprehension problems eh? oh well...you win I concede to nothing, hehe. No more "arguing" from me....have at it

lol, have reading comprehension problems eh? oh well...you win I concede to nothing, hehe. No more "arguing" from me....have at it

I don't understand "retard". I do understand english. you've always talked (typed) in "retard"

Yes you are right that keys are tied to a specific version. I can not use my MCE serial for my Pro install. Just as i cant do teh opposite.

But i have had troubles trying to use a post SP2 serial on my Pre-SP1 disc. This disc i have is a original and i know the serial is legit yet it will not accept the serial at all. That is why i made my statement. But if i use a SP2 disc it will accept the serial.

I knwo what you are saying but at the same time i know that this situation has personally happened to me. So it can happen. If you have one of the very first XP serials you can run into trouble with newer discs. As that serial may have been put on a black list. Who knows. but using a older disc will allow it to be used and activated.

I fully agree with you that the serials are tied more to a version (IE Home to Home, Pro to Pro and MCE to MCE) but that doesnt explain how i can use a first generation Disc with a brand new serial and not allow to install.;)

I must have missed this. I have never tried a old serial with a new disc. I have tried new serial with a old disc and have run into trouble. As i explained above. I think this might have something to do with the version that i am using. It is a MSDN copy and not a retail copy that i have used to install. It is most likely that difference is what is causing this issue for me.

Yes this is true. We have disagreed. But at the same time we are very respectful of each others opinion. Case in point this thread. There is several Vista threads like this as well. We both know that each has a ton of knowledge to share and that the other knows their stuff. Dont always have to fight to share your thoughts and opinions to figure out the solution. Eric and myself may aruge but we always try to get to the common solution. The one that fixes the problem.

ChemicalMonkey.....did you downlaod a XP Home copy?

my thoughts exactly.

I did forget to mention blacklist keys. you don't even want to mess with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom