AMDs potential...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I've noticed a significant drop in AMD's company performance and the lagging capability to "crush" Intel like they did in 2005-2006. Even the Phenom showed little gains to put them back on top.

So my question is (since I've been out of the loop for awhile), does AMD have anything planned later this year and for the next couple years or so that can have the potential of putting them back on top? Any new technology in the works or rumors that they plan on implementing? From what I'm reading now, the Phenom's a bust while Intel has a nice plan for the upcoming year. They've even manage to increase their speeds of their new Core 2 CPUs. Any thoughts and inputs would be great.

Not that i know of the latest one they had that was supposed to compete against Intel was the Phenom but that didnt turn out well but AMD i see them taking the lead again is the year of 09.

I haven't looked into in a long time but I think AMD was hopeing to get fusion out in 2009 or 2010. IIRC fusion is basically getting the video card gpu and computer cpu onto one chip.

if AMD doesnt concentrate a little on their chips....when intel works the bugs out of their integrated memory controller, AMD will lose the advantage it has in that department.
it seems that they have almost thrown in the towel for the moment, cos they cant overcome intels performance lead right now, and they know it.
we'll just have to see.

One chip functionality. This would be a huge boon for laptops and portable devices. It may even translate into desktop chips, especially for the lower end. Once the number of cores scales up, it would be child's play to make x CPU and x GPU, or even have them interchange as need be. Imaginge a graphics intesive game uses five of eight cores, while a video conversion might take six or seven, and the chip just glides between the demands.

I hope they do something, I have bought my last AMD CPU. I have been a fan of AMD but Intel just owns the market now with their new releases of the 45 nm e8400 and e8500 prices starting in the 200's, celeron x 2 and 45nm quads coming soon. It looks bad for AMD if they go under Intel will start raping our wallets again.

colin said:
Intel just owns the market now
NOW is the focus of the statement. Ten years ago no one had heard of AMD, and then they dominated the market. AMD may never regain that dominance, but I look for them to still pull some tricks out of their hat.

if they go under Intel will start raping our wallets again.
That would be a monopoly. I doubt ANY government would let it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom