BSOD on vista boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
Ever since I tried to run gparted on my vista machine... i've been getting the bsod ever so often. I've managed to figure out a little bit as to how it shows up to. Because gparted runs from the cd... which was in at the time everything went screwy... and the fact that i only get it when i take a disk out of my dvd drive... or sometimes when i boot up (except when i unplug the drive)... i get the bsod. I've tried everything i can think of to fix this issue but its been two days now and nothing seems to work. I can't even find much about it on google... lots of stuff about the alchohol120 vista problem... and it sounded similar but i don't have alchohol120 so i guess its not the same problem. I've tried repairs from the vista disk... i've tried restores... and also trying to go into safe mode or last known good config. But no problems when the drive is unplugged or when i take a disk out of it. Any ideas? Might there be a driver problem for the dvd drive?

Which release of GParted was used there? For MS partitions the 0.3.3.0 release was the last platform independent version seen at SourceForge.net: Files

Once Vista is on you can now easily use the Disk Management tool for resizing any partitions other then the one Windows is running on. GParted would be used to create the primary followed by the Vista installer formatting it without any reference to need for the live cd.

If you installed Vista from a different drive it may have made a reference to it then. Try uninstalling the drive in the device manager and reboot to allow Windows to reinstall it without the live cd in to see how that goes. If the drive is still good you may see that corrected with a fresh detection.

I have used GParted several times and none have affected my Vista install. I have resized and moved my Vista partition completely. It still works fine. So your error has to be something more specific.

What did you do with GParted that you think it is causing this? What is the BSOD Stop Error code given with teh VIsta BSOD?

I went and through the gparted disk out... figured it was corrupt or something... got weird lines and whatnot forcing me to do a restart. Thats when it all started happening. Now it doesn't matter what disk I put in. And it was the latest version of gparted to. I don't believe it has anything to do with gparted... except that it started after i got rid of the disk because it was doing funny things.

Okay so you have to tell me what the BSOD says and what you did to get this BSOD. I cant help when i dont know any info.

Thats the thing... when the bluescreen comes up the computer restarts in about half a second... i can never read what it says.

Start Orb>Right click on computer>Advanced>Startup and recovery. Uncheck the Auto restart.

If you cant boot into Vista try it from safe mode.

The latest version of GParted live for cd is strictly for Linux! That's half of your problem there. You are trying to install Vista on a VFat type primary. The last "platform independent" release you can use for MS and other OSs besides Linux is the 0.3.3.0 release.

That's about the 15th down from the top of the page at the link posted earlier. The 0.3.2.0 just under that is also cross platform. A good free version for bunring the iso to a cd-r and see that bootable is BurnOn found at BurnOn CD & DVD - Free DVD Burning Software - Freeware CD burner Windows XP & Vista

Once you use one of the two availble with the 0.3.3.0 loading faster then the previous releases you shouldn't have any problems seeing Vista go right on.

Okay why would it be strictly for Linux when even the site says they use all the latest file system tools?

That would include all the previous tools they used for the GParted LiveCD that is working with Windows and OS X. I haev just downloaded the newest build and will test it myself. There is nothign on their site that says these newer builds will not work with a Windows Partition.

*Edit*

Okay the above claim is bogus. I have personally just used version 0.3.4.11 of GParted LiveCD to shrink down my Vista partition and create a 19.53GB partition with NTFS file system. It work fine not only in Vista but XP as well. The only thing i can say about hte newest version of Gparted. It takes longer to scan the discs than version 0.3.3 did.

Any version of Gparted will work. There is nothing on the website saying that Gparted is Linux only and if so then how come i got it to personally work? Gparted is a disk managment tool. It can be used for any OS.

I finally figured it out... took a couple of beer to get me really into it.. but i got it. I just put 3 gigs of ram in. Apparently... theres a problem with vista running with 3 gigs of ram. How bizarre is that. So.. the effects is that it screws up ur dvd/cd drive and gives u the bsod! I downloaded the patch... took the the gig or ram out.. installed it... put the ram back in... and everthing works fine. Has nothing to do with gparted! However... theres was something screwy with that disk i had though... the screeen went all funny... and nothing showed up. Anyways.. thanks everybody for your help!! Everything is good now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom