New Revolutionary Discovery in Battery Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Stanford University researchers have made a discovery that could signal the arrival of laptop batteries that last more than a day on a single charge.

The researchers have found a way to use silicon nanowires to give rechargeable lithium ion batteries as much as 10 times more charge.

The new batteries were developed by assistant professor Yi Cui and colleagues at Stanford University's Department of Materials Science and Engineering.

"It's not a small improvement," Cui said. "It's a revolutionary development."

Cui has filed a patent on this technology, which will hopefully be available to end users within "several years".

techPowerUp source

Yahoo article

sweeeeettt....in seven years you can pay a fortune for those laptops...

and then in 20 years you can get fusion powerd laptops and never have to charge them...

but that tech isnt only for laptops i bet... That tech will go into mp3 players, phones, pda's, ect. probably

I want one NOW!

Seriously laptop batteries are the only thing that hasn't developed as fast as the rest of technology.

sweet, i cant wait for this to come out, because my labtop battery doesnt last more then an hour (just because its old)

There are other batteries in the works atm also. The ones I seen the other day were invented for the auto industry, but the guy who invented them has all ready used them in smaller applications like RC cars and Laptops. They are "Instantly Rechargable" and hold 10x the power Lithium Ion batteries do. There is a big push in the auto industry right now for small, high capacity, fast rechargable, light, and safe batteries. The next few years will be interesting for batteries.

Edit: GM and Toyota are the ones pushing battery technology. Toyota for its Prius, GM for their VOLT. GM has to have a better battery in order to get their VOLT into production, or it will be just another concept, all tho it is already in the design/production phase.

Electric Car: Chevrolet Volt: Chevrolet

I think what IS pushing the technology in batterys IS the auto industry... All these little hybrids need MUCH more powerfull batterys... **** the hybrids are only good in town most of the time... Once on the highway there battery would die far to quickly... Soooo Imagine a battery 10 times stronger....

Hopefully when these do come out, they'll be made not just for brand new laptops...I'd like one of these for my old one too :) And I think I'm getting a new laptop in a few months when I go off to college, I'd want one of these for it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom