Who's amazing with Samba?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, if you stop it then start it again its the same as a restart

samba reads its configure file once at startup and thats it, in order to force it to read it again and make the changes it has to be stopped and started again

Everything is set up, but 1 minor problem.

Here are my paths.

[jason]
path = /home/jason
writeable = yes
browseable = yes

[curt]
path = /media/driveb/curt
writeable = yes
browseable = yes

[tyler]
path = /media/driveb/tyler
writeable = yes
browseable = yes

[mom]
path = /media/driveb/mom
writeable = yes
browseable = yes

The issue is, any user who logs in can see all of the available paths. However, each user can click on any path they want. Granted, that's not a big deal in a home environment and all... but I have my path there (I'm Jason) because I want to be able to route everything to my laptop if I wish. However, MY MOM CAN GET INTO MY HOME FOLDER. Which is where my pictures are.

That's uh... a bad thing.

How can I restrict it so Tyler can only get in Tyler's folder, Mom can only get in Mom's, etc....?

Also, I want sdb2 to auto-mount to /media/driveb every time I boot up to Linux. How can I do that? By looking at my fstab file, all I see is that my NTFS partition of my first drive is commented out to not auto-mount.

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=93094159-28b6-4ba2-9a34-c32639b00a05 /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda4
UUID=06b0f767-698d-4269-87c6-e87a46404bb5 /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
# /dev/sda1
#UUID=603865E23865B824 /media/sda1     ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
# /dev/sda2
UUID=9397ac6b-b51b-433e-8857-bf765234cd6c none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0
/dev/hdb        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
;[netlogon]
; comment = Network Logon Service
; path = /home/samba/netlogon
; guest ok = yes
; writable = no
; share modes = no

# Un-comment the following and create the profiles directory to store
# users profiles (see the "logon path" option above)
# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
# The path below should be writable by all users so that their
# profile directory may be created the first time they log on
;[profiles]
; comment = Users profiles
; path = /home/samba/profiles
; guest ok = no
; browseable = no
; create mask = 0600
; directory mask = 0700

ya, you have to create profiles for the users and setup samba as its own domain controller, I have never done this before so I'm not sure how this works, but the above is what you have to deal with, you also have to set up the domains section, no clue what the tricks are to that, can't be too hard though, it doesn't look like it is

Also, I want sdb2 to auto-mount to /media/driveb every time I boot up to Linux. How can I do that? By looking at my fstab file, all I see is that my NTFS partition of my first drive is commented out to not auto-mount.

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=93094159-28b6-4ba2-9a34-c32639b00a05 /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda4
UUID=06b0f767-698d-4269-87c6-e87a46404bb5 /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
# /dev/sda1
#UUID=603865E23865B824 /media/sda1     ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
# /dev/sda2
UUID=9397ac6b-b51b-433e-8857-bf765234cd6c none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0
/dev/hdb        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0

last line, change "noauto" to "auto"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom