Short in Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Doesn't sound like a good situation. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, laptops are a proprietary item and Dell is the only company that can replace any parts on your laptop unless a 3rd party makes parts for your particular make/model and if they do they probably won't be much cheaper than what Dell sells the parts for. This is something people who own laptops have to deal with unfortunately as no standard for laptop casing/parts has been set (hopefully some day in the future somebody will create a standard for laptops, that is the day I will buy one lol). If you could manage with a desktop PC I'd just buy one of those.

cool, thanks guys.... im gonna try replacing the battery and if that doesnt work ill just transfer the data to a new hard drive and say goodbye.... does anyone know what 512 ddr chips go for these days?

One last thing, if anyone is still looking at this post. I replaced the power cord last year due to damage from the cord being folded. I'm sure you know how that goes. Currently, the computer registers the AC cord, and the light on the adapter is on, meaning it is both receiving and sending electricity. Would you suggest that I replace the battery, and if that doesn't work call it quits? Or would you suggest replacing the cord as well? i'm pretty low on cash right now, and I am looking for a personal opinion. I KNOW the battery needs replaced, and a friend said that if the battery acts as a circuit for the AC power, and the battery is near-dead (as in not holding a big charge) that my problem might be that simple. Opinions?

Also, the computer turns on without the battery in it, so long as the AC is plugged in, but I am sure it would shut off anyway. Man Im confused.... *sigh*

my cousin had a similar problem with her laptop.. it was a crappy batery/ crappy power cord mix.. what you should do is try taking the batery out and just running the laptop on just ac if your laptop permits.. check you power cord for damages because as far as i know even the worst bateries even very old as long as ther not damaged should hold a charge for at least a few seconds... and a ac is cheaper than a batery so i would purchase that first..

hrmm.... so I wonder what the experts would think if it turned off with the battery out just running on ac? come on guys! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom