An LCD monitor to finish off my gaming setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1413

Baseband Member
well, i know very little about monitors, i have been using my 17' CRT hp monitor for the past 6 years. I love this baby, but obviously its time for a long overdue upgrade... I have an 8800gt 512mb, so ill be able to handle any resolutions that will be in my price range.

here are my needs: a fairly cheap, BANG FOR THE BUCK monitor.

i am looking to spend no more than $220 USD. but i would like to go as cheap as i can... like i know i can find something decent for 180ish, so that would be preferred, b/c i need to start saving up some money for tuition... lol

i would like it to be a 19' widescreen, but if you can find a bigger one, i wont complain (i did see a 20' samsung OPENBOX on newegg... but it said no accessories are included, so i would need a DVI cable also).

i think i would like to run 1650x1050, but i guess 1440x900 is okay too. I have been looking at a 1280x1024 for the past 6 years so im pretty sure ill be happy either way.

Ok, i can type a lot so ill really try to keep my rambling to a minimum.

my main concerns are with the stats. I have no idea what the difference b/w 300 and 350 cd/m2 is... i think it measures brigthness... but other than that i dont know wtf its for, and would i even be able to notice the difference?

the contrast ratio, most of the 19 and 20' monitors that are in my price range are like 500:1 to 800:1... some are 1000:1, but anyways, will i be able to SEE a difference from 700:1 to 800:1, cause this is what most of them are.

now for colors, most are either 16.2mil, but with 800:1 contrast, or 16.7mil with 700:1 contrast, so i dont know which way to pick, and once again, WILL I NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE? lol

and finally, RESPONSE TIME. I am fairly sure that ghosting is pretty much a thing of the past, but ****, im living in the past with this 6yr old crt from HP... so fill me in. I saw a newegg comment saying that 2msGTG is better for gaming than 5ms normal is... well i dunno if this is correct.

so yea, i did some research, and i found the diff b/w normal and GTG, it seem GTGms response time is just a marketing scheme...

anyways, can some of you monitor experts out there recommend a few in my price range? 220max, but id love to keep it under 200, lower is better, remember this is bang for the buck, but i still want a nice quality monitor.

ohh yea, VGA vs DVI, it seems that DVI is better b/c its a new technology, but is there a big difference? b/c these lower end monitors im looking at can either be bougth dvi or vga, and vga is about 10 bucks cheaper... im thinking it would be best to go with dvi though.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP cause i know ill get it.

anyways, these are what im kinda leaning towards right now:
Newegg.com - Acer AL2016WCbd Black 20" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail
Newegg.com - Open Box: SAMSUNG 204BW Black 20" 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with Height Adjustments 300 cd/m2 700:1
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HB-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

mark1413 said:
my main concerns are with the stats. I have no idea what the difference b/w 300 and 350 cd/m2 is... i think it measures brigthness... but other than that i dont know wtf its for, and would i even be able to notice the difference?
It's the level of brightness the monitor can support up to. Usually though, when you first turn it on, it's automatically set correctly. If not, no big deal, just adjust the brightness to your liking.

the contrast ratio, most of the 19 and 20' monitors that are in my price range are like 500:1 to 800:1... some are 1000:1, but anyways, will i be able to SEE a difference from 700:1 to 800:1, cause this is what most of them are.
I don't think there is a big or noticeable difference. Maybe 700 to 1000 is, but not 700 to 800.

now for colors, most are either 16.2mil, but with 800:1 contrast, or 16.7mil with 700:1 contrast, so i dont know which way to pick, and once again, WILL I NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE? lol
No big difference, unless you're really looking for it.

and finally, RESPONSE TIME. I am fairly sure that ghosting is pretty much a thing of the past, but ****, im living in the past with this 6yr old crt from HP... so fill me in. I saw a newegg comment saying that 2msGTG is better for gaming than 5ms normal is... well i dunno if this is correct
As long as the range is between 2-8ms, there shouldn't be any ghosting problems. LCD monitors over the past years, have improved significantly.

anyways, can some of you monitor experts out there recommend a few in my price range? 220max, but id love to keep it under 200, lower is better, remember this is bang for the buck, but i still want a nice quality monitor.
The one peter suggest, is pretty good. Although you said $220 max, I don't know if you're interested in rebates.

Here's some suggestions:
Newegg.com - LG L204WT-SF Silver 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with f-Engine 300 cd/m2 2000:1 - Retail
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 906BW Black-Silver 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 DC - Retail

ohh yea, VGA vs DVI, it seems that DVI is better b/c its a new technology, but is there a big difference? b/c these lower end monitors im looking at can either be bougth dvi or vga, and vga is about 10 bucks cheaper... im thinking it would be best to go with dvi though.
There's not much difference here either. But you might as well go DVI. It's time you get out of the aging VGA and CRTs.

for 10 bucks more? i would go for the 22... thats not a huge price diffrence considering the substantial size difference (yes, idk about you guys but when i see a 22" i notice the diffrence right away from lets say a 19" or 20")

the difference is between the response time the 20in is a 2ms response time while the 22in is 5ms but this shouldint really make a big difference my advice would be go for the 22in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom