Going Back To Vista - Advice on Removing XP Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Like it says, I got my new video card, so Im going to give Vista another shot, and hope it was a hardware problem causing my driver issues.

If it works out, Im going to delete my XP partition and move my partitions around. I know I cant just delete the XP partition and have it auto-boot off the Vista partition (found that out the hard way). What should I do before formatting the XP partition to make it boot from the Vista partition (and if I move the partition around on the drive [before/after my "Episodes" partition], will that affect booting)?

Anyone have a bit more "for sure" answer? I dont want to mess up and have to reinstall Vista again like last time :(

How would you mess it up? Throw the Vista DVD in the drive, let setup start, delete the XP partition, create a new one in that space, then install Vista into it. It's pretty straightforward. Same way you would install any OS.

Use GPArted to erase the XP Partition. Then use GPArted to add that space to teh Vista partition or dimply create another partition with this space.

Because I used GPartED to erase the XP partition last time, and tried to boot Vista, and it wouldnt boot, and when I tried to repair using the Vista DVD it wouldnt find the Vista partition, although I could manually find it in the repair command line (and tried fixmbr, fixboot, and the rest of the tools without luck).

Sorry for being a noob, I just dont want to ruin my install of Vista again.

Would it work to use Paragon Partition Manager 8 to delete the XP partition, move my Vista partition to the beginning of the drive, and expand the Episodes partition to take up the free space? Or will I run into issues with booting and such?

You will run into problems. Also PM8 gives some funky error's with Vista. It works but for some reason Vista doesnt like the partitions it creates.

Best option i can suggest for now. Delete the XP partition using GParted. Then go into Vista and make a partition with the VIsta Disk Management. I dont think you will be able to add that space to your Vista but you might. This is hte only fail safe way i can think of.

I have moved my Vista stuff with GParted but since the partitions changed the boot configuration was screwed up. So if you move the Vista stuff at all the boot config will be messed and you will have to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom