Windows explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

madking153

In Runtime
hi,

don't know whats wrong with my WInXP pro, when i browse my videos in windows explorer , a error always pop up and said there is an error , the dr watson debugger bla bla bla

it not always happen but quite often ...

What can i do to get rid this problem
thanks

One thing to try there would be running the system file checker since that's directly related to Windows system files there. The "sfc /scannow" command at the Run prompt will start that up in order to first verify files and will likely prompt for the XP installation disk. The tool will replace anything found missing or damaged by copying replacements from the XP disk itself.

Does it happen with all files or just ones specifically in that folder? If it is specifically in that folder a file in there has become corrupt and is causing explorer.exe to crash. Figure out which one it is and delete it, then redownload it.

If you trying to double click on a video file while browsing a folder that would see error messages generated since you first need to open a player that supports that type of file. If the files were uploaded from a camcorder you would likely have to try browsing by opening each with the player used to see which one was bad if this is due to a corrupted file.

If no files are found bad the system file checker will help with repairing any system files damaged or missing. Generally a bad file would be known right off when going to run it. For general browsing that sounds like a Windows glitch.

the error occur whenever ( often) i browse my video drives -- not a specific one..I will try to run sfc/scannow and try to see what happen next

You'll probably find the problem is with the explorer.exe file needing a repair for some reason. When running a burning program for creating bootable GParted live cds the free version of BurnOn will start seeing odd problems where the sfc tool clears things up right away.

thanks eyeCpc , i try to use sfc / scannow but it doesnt work ...a DOS screen appear for less than 1 sec and dissapear and then nothing happen ...

is there an alternative to run sfc?

With the main files found intact you now will want to look at what is starting up along with Windows to see if disabling a few items will help clear this up. Simply type msconfig at the Run prompt to bring up the screen for the system utility there.

By checking the selective startup option you then go into the startup group to simply uncheck items found in there. Those can be re-enabled at any time later once the problem is found. By disabling all you then selectively re-enable each item one at a time if needed.

Usually it won't take that long if an item there is the cause. Most are for video, sound, antivirus, and other startups like those. If you have any type of messenger service active that will be among the list seen there. Alos look over any recent software changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom