What is the difference in these processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightingBird

In Runtime
What is the difference between a AMD processor, a celeron processor and a Pent 4 processor? I am considering buying a computer in parts but I was told that a celeron is not good for gaming.

There are two CPU manufacturers...AMD and Intel (obviously). They make two general styles of CPU's...there performance/normal chips and the budget chips. There are smaller sub-divisions but that is all you need to know for now. In the Pentium family the budget chip is the Celeron. In the AMD family the budget is the Duron. They are cheaper chips and therefore aren't as good. If you are doing basic things like surfing the web and word processing than the Celeron/Duron chips are just fine. However you won't be able to run games very well due to a couple of factors(FSB, L2 Cache...etc.)

Now to the difference between AMD and Intel (the normal chips)

AMD - They are cheaper (price not quality). They are better at running games due to some chip level factors.

Intel - Brand name. Better at video editing.

They are both fine with the basic computing tasks just like the budget chips.

LightingBird said:
What is the difference between a AMD processor, a celeron processor and a Pent 4 processor? I am considering buying a computer in parts but I was told that a celeron is not good for gaming.

Intel has three different types of processors:

Celeron which is a budget processor . Celorons use socket 478 and 775

The Pentium 4 processors are midrange and performance processors. There are Pentium 4 processors which have EE in their name and are expensive and high performing Pentium 4 models .
Pentium 4s use socket 478 and 775 .

Xeons are server and workstation processors which use socket 604 . The newest Xeon core can run in 64 bit .

AMD currently has five types of modern processors .

Durons which like Celerons are budget processors and use socket A aka socket 462 .

Athlon XPs are midrange processors which are a low cost alternative to Pentium 4s , they use socket 462 .

Athlon 64 s are at the same cost as Pentium 4 and are at the midrange and performance level they can run 64 bit OSes and programs when they come out .The most expensive type of Athlon 64 has an FX behind it and competes with the Pentium 4 EE . First generation Athlon 64s come on socket 754 and the FX comes on socket 940 . Second generation Athlon 64s and the FX variant both come on socket 939 .

Opterons are the Xeon equivilent and are used on servers and workstations . They like the Athlon 64s can run in 64 bit .

Semprons are budget and midrange processors that aren't widely availible yet and will take Duron's place and perhaps also take the Athlo XP's place will be on socket 462 and socket 754 may also be on socket 939 .

Hope this helps .:)

i am sorry to be a pain but what are the specs on the Semprons i have heard them mentioned but no one could come up with any facts about them

The Semprons will be made on socket 462 and 754 and possiblysocket 939 . The first models which are released will be the 2200+ , 2300+ , 2400+ , 2500+ , 2600+ , and 2800+ which will be on socket 462 . The 3000+ models and up will be released on 754 and 939 . The semprons will have a 256KB L2 cache and may or may not perform better than the Athlon XP . Some say it will perform better and some say it will perform worse . All of the 2xxx+ have an FSB of 333 MHz . I don't know what the 3xxx+ processors will have . I hope it will be 400 MHz though .

^ The earlier Xeons (Pentium 2 Xeon, Pentium 3 Xeon) Use slot 2. And the newer xeons (Pentium 4 Xeon, MP) use Socket 603 as well.

Btw... Don't leave out K5, K6, K7, Cyrix, Athlon or Thunderbird Athlon.

Oh...and Celeron uses Socket 370, and Slot 1 to add.

Sorry to come off as a ass, but i like adding on.

For AMD, look for ATHLON XP (Barton) or AMD 64. AMD is best for gaming.
FOr Intel, look for Pentium4 (Northwood/Presscott) or Pentium4EE which will cost u a lots.

-AnGuiSh- said:
^ The earlier Xeons (Pentium 2 Xeon, Pentium 3 Xeon) Use slot 2. And the newer xeons (Pentium 4 Xeon, MP) use Socket 603 as well.

Btw... Don't leave out K5, K6, K7, Cyrix, Athlon or Thunderbird Athlon.

Oh...and Celeron uses Socket 370, and Slot 1 to add.

Sorry to come off as a ass, but i like adding on.

I just wanted to tell the the latest technology you can buy unless you're on an extreme budget , which the processors you listed would fit into that category .

Northbridge said:
I just wanted to tell the the latest technology you can buy unless you're on an extreme budget , which the processors you listed would fit into that category .

You know them are some po folk out in the world. (Just joking with you)

No hard feelings man. Just wanted to make sure i got all the cheap "budget" processors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom