Memory Question (DDR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I recently added a 1GB DDR400 (3200) memory stick to my Sempron ("Rebuilt Compaq Presario" in my sig).

Before, I had a 512 and 256MB PC2200 in it, but now I have the 512 and the 1GB both (put the 256 in my HP). The motherboard supports DDR400, but I have a DDR200 and a DDR400 both in it. My question is, what speed is my computer probably running the memory at, and if it's only running at DDR200 speed, can I overclock the slower RAM to run at DDR400?

All memory sticks will run at the speed of the slowest stick. So yes, they're running at DDR-200. And you can overclock it, to match the 400's speed.

You would be better off simply removing the slower memory and have gone for a pair of 512mb DDR400 dimms or wait for a second 1gb PC3200 dimm there. Ocing memory will often mean back clocking the cpu trying to push the slower memory that much. Plus you would be ocing the DDR400 at the same time? no good!

I'm using the 512 just because I had it lying around. Would I get better performance with only 1GB of memory running faster, or with 1.5GB operating slower? I'm not sure my BIOS supports memory overclocking (least I don't think so...need to check up on that).

I think more memory would serve that system better than faster, because that kind of system wouldn't be needing faster memory clocks, anyway.

I mainly use the system for hosting a Jedi Academy server and F@H, it's my basement PC that I usually just VNC to from my room when I need to do anything. I think for servers memory is usually better. However, my upstairs PC only supports 2200 RAM on the motherboard, but I have a 3200 1GB (the same kind in my basement PC) in it...probably nothing I can do there.

PC2100 memory would be DDR266 there. When the memory clock(fsb) is set to 200mhz thet would 200 x 2=400mhz there for PC3200 memory. If the cpu only has a 266mhz fsb you can only set the fsb only upto 133mhz in the bios. PC3200 memory then runs at 133 x 2 to see 266mhz.

The ideal would have 2gb of the identical memory at the same speed. Currently you are running at 266 rather then 333mhz since that is due to the cpu as well as the PC2100 512mb dimm. With two identical dimms whether it be DDR266 or DDR400 slowed to that you would then be able to oc the memory.

memorygx5.jpg

Apparently my memory is running a lot slower than I thought...PC wizard shows it's only at PC1800 speed, when both sticks are faster than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom