Hard drive data lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No hold up, I think it's called Easy Recovery, but I don't think it was from Ontrack.com.....it was some other website......oh right it was:

EasyRecovery Pro v6.03 from Ontrack.com so I guess Ontrack was right. There's also Recover4All Pro, Acronis Recovery Expert Deluxe, & Final Recovery. EasyRecovery is probably one if not THE best

I checked out ontrack.com and saw that EasyRecovery Pro was $499 (!). Is there a less expensive option?

Here's an update for anyone who cares. I have acquired a copy of EasyRecovery Pro and have run the program. It seems to have successfully recovered all the files from the drive. However, it wasn't able to preserve the file names nor the directories they were in so none of the programs I was running off that drive will be usable (big deal, just re-install them). But it did appear to retrieve all my pics and mp3s. Now on to the daunting task of renaming and reorganizing all those files!

ekÆsine, interesting suggestion about a virus being the source of the problem. I'll have to be more vigilant about running my anti-virus.

Thanks to all that replied.

Almost Same Problem

I have a Maxtor 160 that just died. Same sysmptoms. Running XP Home w/SP2 on 3 PC net. Ran a Nero BU from PC "B" to "A" (where drive is) and 160 drive is suddenly gone. No spin but is seen by BIOS - is NOT seen in Explorer. Data recovery software can see the drive but recovers nothing. A hex dump results in a zero byte file because platters are not spinning. I don't understand how the BIOS can see the drive but Explorer cannot. Have swapped all cables and into 3 diff boxes..... no luck. Wonder if I attach to a 98SE box I might get it to be read??? Any insight appreciated.
---GRIFF

I had a guy who had that problem. He had a bad hard drive. every time he format it would lose the data in a few days. his was an 80 gig samsumg though.

I suspect those maxtor 160's has a defect in them

Positive I didn't delete any partitions. Hooked her up to a 98SE and took a peek today with FDISK........... nothing there but BIOS still sees the drive. So it looks like a new drive install with a format but no partitions defined. Very curious!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom