32-bit architecture vs 64-bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
Alright, I'm having a bit of a problem. I have some great parts in my computer, but I feel it isn't living up to its potential. So I figure that it may be my operating system. I'm running XP MCE which is a 32 bit system while running a 64 bit AMD processor. Would this slow my system down? If I were to get a 64 bit operating system would there be a noticeable increase in system performance, and I know Vista has some 64 bit systems, but is there a XP that is 64 bit?

theres a XP 64-bit version.

64-bit should be only 20% faster than 32-bit, so its not noticable, im still waiting for my 64-bit vista to come in the mail, been like 3 weeks :/

XP 64 bit was kind of a half arse incarnation that windows made to get people in the 64 bit mindset. It was never really supported or embraced by masses.

yea 64-bit was ment for the Intel Itanium servers at the time, Microsoft can make slight more cash moving it to the main stream market instead of restricting it to the server market.

Really if you got 32-bit stick with it, 64-bit for people who want more than 3gb of ram.

theres a XP 64-bit version.

64-bit should be only 20% faster than 32-bit, so its not noticable, im still waiting for my 64-bit vista to come in the mail, been like 3 weeks :/

20% faster? LOL that would be awesome!

seriously though, there's pretty much no difference....64 bit operating systems just allow you do see more than 4gb of memory.

Indeed, gurusan. People don't realize that 64 bits was mainly about patching up memory limitations for servers. On a regular desktop machine, there's no true gain from going 64 bits because most applications aren't designed to take advantage of the extended data block size. (And even if they were, it would only provide a slight performance increase; don't think that because 64 bits is double 32 bits you'll obtain a twofold increase).

There's also a disadvantage of choosing a 64 bits operating system: you may encounter driver incompatibility issues due to poorly ported drivers. Also, it is possible that some 32-bits applications lose some performance when running on a 64 bits operating system (because emulation must be used).

My advice: stick to 32 bits.

So do you recommend an AMD processor or an Intel processor?
Currently I have a 5200+ AMD X2 with 2.7Ghz core and I'm looking into upgrading to a 6000+ AMD X2 with a 3Ghz core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom