weird hard disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
I have an ASROCK motherboard. I've been having problems with windows installations on my SATA hard drive. I've been receiving a few blue screens of deaths, corrupted windows installations. Now it woouldn't boot to windows, or would boot but then restart. Now my motherboard is making these extremely weird beeping sounds, it's almost like "music" reminds me of the mono sounding computer games I used to play on 5.5 inch floppies when I was a kid.

With that sound also, my hard drive is making a very strange sound almost like something is screeching. Doesn't sound good. Is my hard drive failed? windows recovery counsel would not recognise it, I tried Knoppix and it wouldn't see it, however though it is recognising my hard drive in the bios. But the name has changed from "MAXTOR 6Y..[model#]..." to "Maxtor SABRE".

What does that mean? Sabre?

If my bios recognises it, is there a way I can possibly access it? thankfully though I had just installed windows on it so there isn't really any important data on it, but there's still some data on it that I didn't get a chance to back-up. Do you think the data might be recoverable?

so my questions are: What is going on? is my hard drive failed? is there any way I can revive it? I can see it in the bios is there any way I can access it? all these symptoms I have noted, what do the indicate? is my data at all recoverable?

Lastly, can I just say that my experience with SATA drives has been a terrible one. it's a pain to get them seen by the windows and this is my second, maybe third, sata to have failed. Not exactly plug-n-play.. more like plug-n-pray.

Thanks for all the help.

Try it in another rig. If that fails it sounds like its time to replace it. Thankfully hard drives are pretty cheap now.

I picked up a Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA II for $40 from newegg.com last summer.

Are local data recovery agencies good enough? and some that do a free estimate and send you a list of recoverable and non recoverable files?

that way at least I'll know what was on my hard drives because I've jotted down stuff I lost that I remember but I'm sure there are somethings I don't remember.

local? that's a big IF :D
if you have free time, head to a bookstore, magazine rack...flip through that and see if you can see any data reco services. Jot them down and just see what they're all about, trustability and pricing

How about google locals? when I searched for data recovery lots of results did come up. I might check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom