Good Tv Tuner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
Hello,
I'm considering about getting a tv tuner to put into my computer so that I can watch/record cable tv.

With the recent conversion from analog to digital tv I want to be prepared so
I would like to have either both digital and analog or just digital. I plan on
spending around $100 and I really don't care what interface it uses, i have
both.

Also, I currently have digital cable (Comcast) so i wont be using antenna.
I will be using Vista Ultimate/Myth TV.

How is this one?
Newegg.com - AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe MCE ATSC/NTSC/QAM Tuner Card w/MCE Remote & L-P Bracket - Retail

Thanks!! :)

so.. if i don't make the cable go through the cable box first.. it is still analog?
Will quality be effected. Is it legal/possible to split the cable AFTER it goes through the box?

I have a splitter before the cable box. 1 line going to the cable modem, 1 to the computer, 1 to the cable box. Yes there is definately a difference in the quality of analog and digital cable, but with comcast there is no way to view digital cable without going through the box first.

Alright im pretty sure im going to get the tuner you suggested and not the one i originally choose.

Ive never really had to deal with this Digital-Analog tv stuff.. so im having a hard time understanding what the difference is, and how exactly im going to have everything hooked up :p

I dont like the feeling of not knowing whats going on dealing with electronics.. gives me shivers :)

Ill google around and see what i find.

Also, what program do you think is best to watch/record tv shows,
the Media Center in vista, some other 3rd party software, or the software it supplies?

Sorry to bog you down with questions, but you seem to be in the same position as me.

I just use media center. It goes out and downloads a program guide for you. Then you just set up what you want to record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom