Screen size correlate to FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
I know resolution is the major player in FPS. But, won't he screen size matter? Going from a 19" monitor to a 24" should affect the fps because the screen is 5+ inches larger physically and the video card has to accommodate it, right? Doesn't something like dot pixels, native resolution, ect. come in to play too?

I'm curious cause I believe the screen size does affect it. Probably only 5-10% of an increase/decrease but nevertheless does affect it.

I don't think the physical size of the monitor afffects performance. It's the resolution of the monitor, and the graphic card, that will mostly determine how many fps you will get.

Of course going from a 19 to 24" monitor will affect the fps, because the 24" has a larger resolution. But if you set the 24" to the native of the 19", there shouldn't be an affect, just because the screen is physically larger. They'll both have the same number of pixels being shown.

I could be wrong here, but I think the FPS would only be affected by the resolution, as regardless of the screen size the graphics card will output the same resolution (and hence the same FPS). A 24" monitor shouldn't have a lower FPS than a 19" monitor if they are both using 1440x900 because the graphics card will be outputting the same thing. Performance might decrease if the monitor can't run the resolution at higher than x FPS, for example a 19" may only run 1440x900 at 60fps but a 24" may run it at 90fps, so there would be a gap there. But as far as I'm aware, the video card doesn't do anything to accommodate dot pixels or native resolutions.
Hope that helps.

b1gapl bet me to it.

Yep, I think thats exactly right, the Vsync question comes into play, or even if not, the different refresh rates will have an effect upon the perceived video quality.

Same resolution shouldn't tax the video card any more or less.

Well the monitor itself scales the picture to make up for the size, but the video card is still outputting the same signal. Im actually having a hard time telling 1440x900 and 1680x1050 apart on mine, i guess that faroudja chip really makes a difference, or i need to look more closely.

Hmmm...I always thought the bigger the screen size the more videocard power you needed......like at 1650 x 1080 would use more video card power on a 22" than a 19"

Hmmm...I always thought the bigger the screen size the more videocard power you needed......like at 1650 x 1080 would use more video card power on a 22" than a 19"

You're talking about a bigger resolution, not screen size. The 22" would require a more powerful graphic card than a 19", if you want to play games at high settings.

I mean say you had a 19'' at 1680 x 1050 and a 22" at 1680 x 1050

I thought you would get better frame rate on the 19inch???

I mean say you had a 19'' at 1680 x 1050 and a 22" at 1680 x 1050

I thought you would get better frame rate on the 19inch???

1680 x 1050 is not usually native for a 19", so it won't look good. But if it were, I'd imagine it'd look a little sharper than a 22" on 1680 x 1050. You would get better frames on a 19", using a native of 1440 x 900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom