Fan hook up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertXYZ

Baseband Member
I am about to build a new computer ( never done it ) and need some help and explanations as to fan hook up.
My case is an Antec 9000,motherboard Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless Edition.

The fans have a connector with 4 pins on one side and 4 "holes" on the other side.I assume that the 4 pins get
connected to the power supply which delivers 12 volts to turn the fan.

I assume the connectors with the 4 "holes" get connected to the motherboard but I do not understand what the
purpose of that connection is.It seems to me that the fans already have power ( from the power supply ).

I appreciate if you could explain where I am wrong

RobertXYZ

it is for daisy chaining, as fans require little power...pass through to other things that you may or may not add

only one needs to be connected, it has 2 connectors just so you can minimize the amount of wires needed to connect everything. its basically for your convenience. so just plug one in so it is receiving power.

also by 4 pins and 4 holes you mean a 4 pin molex connector. if not then like go on google and find a pic of what you mean.

only one needs to be connected, it has 2 connectors just so you can minimize the amount of wires needed to connect everything. its basically for your convenience. so just plug one in so it is receiving power.

also by 4 pins and 4 holes you mean a 4 pin molex connector. if not then like go on google and find a pic of what you mean.

I am not sure what it is called,I guess a molex connector.It has 4 pins
and 4 female pins on the same connector.The motherboard has several
connections for the fans which confuses me.

Thanks

RobertXYZ

As was mentioned, the four holes (female end) is for linking multiple molex connections together ( PSU-->Fan1-->Fan2-->Fan3) so that one connection from the PSU therefore powers multiple fans (I usually stick with two fans per connection but 3 on rare occasions), decreases the clutter in the case. The connections on the mobo are also to power fans, just different pin options. Some mobos let you regulate fan speed if connected to them.

The connections on the motherboard are different. They are 3 pin connectors which allow you to control fan speed from the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom