Open With.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Made a Big mistake that I hope has an easy answer?
Editing a file in windows through Notepad. BUT it was a .plr file. Windows gives you the option to "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" . I left this ticked by mistake. Is there anyway of changing it back, or stopping windows using Notepad to open .plr files?

Hope there's a simple answer.

Regards,
Shaun.

you can right click, "open with" again and rechoose

or browse file types and delete the associate for it "tools" "folder options" I think...i'm on vista right now, a little different from xp, not sure what you are on

No Tofu you are right. It doesnt matter which OS you are in. Browsing thru the folder options is the same in XP or Vista.

The answer you gave is pretty much spot on with what you have to do.

"or browse file types and delete the associate for it "tools" "folder options" I think...i'm on vista right now, a little different from xp, not sure what you are on"

In Lemans terms how does one do this???? step by step please :)

I haven't a clue what needs to open a .plr file. It's with the game GTR2 and i was trying to change the MOTEC log directory in the .plr file but forgot to untick the box.

Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types > find the file type in the list at the top > click Change at the bottom > untick the box that says "Always use..blah blah" > click ok > Click Ok again to exit the Folder Options dialog.

in general, many game files are not default viewable by anything. You can just use notepad (wordpad and word, etc) type programs to look at them.

much like using notepad to look at html, xml, script files, even image files (though it's basically useless data, lol)

If you don't know what opens it, it probably doesn't matter. The only reason for associating file extensions is so you can double click on it and automatically open it in the correct program. If you don't normally do that, you don't even need it to be associated with anything. The correct program will be able to open that file whether it is associated with it or not.

I'd probably just leave it associated with Notepad or Wordpad and not worry about it.

Forretsupp, Thanks for that. So I should be ok running GTR2 without trouble then. and shouldn't worrie about the .plr file i changed?

Thanks.
Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom