new heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1413

Baseband Member
well, im ordering an artic cooler 64 pro to bring down the temps of my 6000+ b/c its fairly hot with the stock heatsink (duh).

i know it comes with some pre-applied thermal paste/pad thingy on there... but i am a TOTAL noob when it comes to this stuff.

here are my questions:
should i buy some more thermal compound like artic silver 5 or artic cooling mx2? and will this help that much?

what do i need to remove the existing thermal compound that come with the stock heatsink which is now all over my cpu? and how do i do this? is it as simple as grabbing a paper towl and wiping it off?

When buying the Arctic Cooler heatsinks, they already come pre-applied with MX-1. So you won't need to buy thermal paste.

mark1413 said:
what do i need to remove the existing thermal compound that come with the stock heatsink which is now all over my cpu? and how do i do this? is it as simple as grabbing a paper towl and wiping it off?

For future reference, you need isopropyl alcohol 70-99%. And a lint free cloth. Just dab some on the thermal paste or pad, wait 30 seconds, and wipe away.

the Thermal Pads are a little worse than the Thermal Paste, Newer revisions of the AF64 come with MX-2 older ones come with MX-1, so you can remove AS5 off the list, get some MX-2 in case you have hte MX-1 thermal pad

usually for the thermal compound people recommend isothyl alcohol to remove it

EDIT: b1gapl beat me to it ;)

ok well, i got my heatsink today and just finished putting it.... was a little difficult to get the little notches to get onto the thing, but it went successfully. now how long does it take this stuff to "set". b/c i am currently seeing the same temps that i got with the stock heatsink....

im getting 40ish deg cel IDLE...

i just did a 15min cpu burn in test and it only got to 48 top... and w/ the stock it hit 57... so i guess its an improvement.

That's a great improvement on load. The thermal material usually takes about 200 hours to set in.

Remember it is a budget heatsink and is not expensive by any means. Your not going to see 20 degree drops in temp. 9 Degrees under load is a fairly significant drop.

yea... i mean, ya get what you pay for... but i was kinda hoping to see my idle temps drop to about 34ish... at least... many people report their 6000+ temps idle at about that... with this same heatsink...

i guess i need to let the thermal paste set... and if it doesnt drop much i think i might try buying some mx2 and reaplying it... b/c when i was putting on this heatsink i had some difficulty getting it seated properly, so i may have kind messed up the paste a bit... i dunno, im a total noob w/ heatsinks and stuff..

i guess as long as my load temps stay down i can get a nice mild OC out of this card... i know its not capable of much OCing... but i figure i can get 3.2 without too much trouble.

ok well, that OC was easy, i just did the default 8% that put me at 3.25... but i think i fiddle with it some more later... anways, temps seem to be fine... except that core 1 is running about 2-4 degrees hotter... does this mean that my heatsink is not centered... or the paste is uneven? ( i think i read it in previous posts) and if so.... do i need to reseat it... is it a problem?

when i had the stock heatsink core 1 was hotter... but by 1-2, not 4... hmmm, now that i type this it seems like a very small difference, but i am a perfectionist... it must be even!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom