Resolution problems with 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

radovitch

Beta member
Hi,
I don't know if this is problem is hardware based or not.
System Specs
- ASUS P5E Deluxe Mainboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Processor
- Corsair TWINX 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX Graphics Card
- Corsair 620W PSU (Triple 12vRails=50amps)
- XP pro SP2

With this rig and the latest NVIDIA drivers and game patch I figured I could safely max all settings including full 1900x1200 resolution on my 24" monitor with high powered games. Not possible. Not under Crysis and not even under Oblivion. After about 5 minutes on Oblivion the game locks up and only a reboot unfreezes it. If I dumb down the resolution to 1280x1024, no problems.

In fact some advanced game effects are either grayed out under full resolution or, as with Oblivion, when I set the video quality preset to high with full 1900x1200 resolution it automatically resets it to 1280x1024. I have RivaTuner low level fan control set so that the fan kicks in if the core temp exceeds 74°C. I've not heard it go on yet so I'm assuming Ican rule out the power supply. I haven't done any overclocking yet.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

hmm, that is odd.

It isn't that the card isn't good enough, my 29Pro can max oblivion at that res, and crysis runs reasonably well, albeit at lower detail settings.

Since it runs fine at 12x10, you can rule out heat, since the GPU won't get any hotter at 19x12 than 12x10.

The very high settings in crysis will be greyed out due to you running XP, rather than vista.

Have you tried reinstalling drivers, and tried previous driver versions? I suspect this to be a software problem rather than hardware.

I received your reassurance as regards the heat with relief. Since it's a new rig I was already starting to think in terms of defective merchandise.

I have installed and reinstalled both the latest nividia driver plus the 160.28 beta driver even using drive sweeper to clean out any old driver residue first but all to no avail. However as you seem convinced that this is a software issue I'll take it to a software forum.
Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom