WC finished, CM Cosmos. (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh i see yeah i'd imagine it would increase airflow quite a bit depending on how much surface area was beign covered before. In his case he nearly doubled the amount of open surface area. so i'd imagine a 50-70% increase in airflow. Thats just my opinion, im no math wiz. Some fan grates are super restrictive. Starving the fans air supply.

just imagine breathing through a straw

Depending on how bad the situation is i'd definitely reccommend it.

i was considering the same case.. and did you really have to go through all that trouble to get the radiator mounted up there... did you have to drill any holes or anything?

edit~ wrote too much so underlined main points >.>

i probably should have taken a closeup before picture, it was a bit of a bother.

The case comes with two fans already screwed to the top. for some reason they aren't even seperated by what seems a standard distance for... i dunno every radiator on the planet. And for some other reason there are depressions for the fans, so the top of the case sinks in slightly in parts. On top of that there is an ungodly amount of screws in the top of the case. It's actually a bit ridiculous. So its already drilled like swiss cheese. Thats not mentioning the behive fan grills that were actually machine cut into the case, instead of screwed on for easy removal.
And even though thats the case I think only 4 of the 10000 holes actually lined up. And if you want to put the radiator in there is only 1 place on the top to fit it properly and still have things go back together. Not that difficult to find if you just move around the fan grill a bit. Two screws i had to drill into a sloped surface, it was a bit awkward but it worked fine with a hole punch to make a small dent and good drill bit.
So yes I had to drill i think 8 holes, as well as cut out the top of the case.

one warning, depending on your motherboard you may or may not be able to mount one fan on the radiator. Because of the copper heatsink on the top of the p5K deluxe there just wan't enough room for the fan to mount. Luckily I got the dq6 at the same time as i started all this, and theres no irritatingly useless copper heatsink at the top, as it apparently served no purpose anyway.
I dont know if you can tell from the pics there but on the dq6 the fan is actually touching the CPU block. 0 space. It isn't blocking any air per say because its just a small part of the fan casing thats pressed against the screw mounts. Not very hard, just snugly. I was lucky enough to be able to sqeeze it in. You lose the two top drive bays as well. leaving you with 3. Now if youre sticking something short in the top two itd work fine, as the rad only sits in about an inch or so too far for a dvd rom. like a fan controller/card reader and all that lovely stuff.

IN summary, Great case, i love it. It just takes a bit of work because the designers were on crack.

Wire managment works, but was designed VERY poorly, only because the door latching system is ballocks. As is the usless vertical bridge they created that effectively seperates it in half. with all the cables routed behind I had to remove the soundproofing foam, and route the main atx power cable in a very odd way, because they put a raised border on the side panel that conveniently covers the hole meant for wire managment.

I dunno its an awesome case, you just gotta mess with it a bit. There's not a whole lot of room to play with when using a 120.3 rad but it can be done. Having all 3 fans is motherboard dependant. if theres no Huge heatsink near the top edge of the motherboard you should be good. it'd be really nice to not have your CPU sitting right on the edge either.

Also note if you have a fan controller with knobs the front door cant close. So i removed it. May have already said that but it doesnt really matter. I like the look with or without the door. And now its less hassle.

What you need: Dremel, drill, screwdriver, patience and coffee. A jigsaw might work but I believe the case itself is steel, not aluminum ^^ So it may not work. The side panels are alluminum and the casing I put in one of the first few pics is plastic. The rest is all steel.

thanks aku, sorry for bargin in your thread and askin some other questions.
I was gonna post this on rate your wire management, but then i see taht youve already been working on your case so i was like ill just give it a try here.
Ill work on my case this weekend and cut that metal stuff off...ill also add another case fan below the optical drive and then hopefully i see a big drop in t emps.
Right now my cpu idles in the low 30s and my gpu idles around high 40s when at 50%.. but when i play crysis, my gpu goes to 85 which is not something i like to see.
I dont have a fan on the side of the gpu, but i do on the bottom, but with all this extra air comming in, its bound to help out.

eh i don't mind a hijack haha. gives me someone to talk to.

thats quite a big jump lol. Mine idles at 64c at 50%. ati tool brought it to 80 before I cranked the fan to 100% and dropped to 75 and sat there. Now I just let rivatuner deal with it automatically and hope for the best. too much of a bother turning it up and down all the time. I think my high idle is because I don't have any intake fans blowing on it. Since theres only 1 intake fan anyway.
post some pics when you get it done XD

I think i'm gonna go try and cut that window right now, just wondering if I should drill the screw holes first or 2nd.

Wait for Apok , or check out his Mod Log to his lian-li case. It's in his sig.

his lian case mod is just....wow, amazing, too many words to say on here.
He worked on that thing for a long time and has a good reason to be proud of it.

Yeah he was my inspiration haha. He did an incredible job.

Anyhow I went ahead and did it. Hard on the back haha. Went pretty smoothly though. Here's the pics:

Screw holes first:

Cut out center:

Screw in acrylic:

Put on case XD:

Aaand in the dark:

finally figured out how to turn off the flash hahaha.

wooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom