NVDA Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish. They are busy with their new houses on the beaches of North Carolina and suburbs of Dallas.

I'm doing fine, I would just rather the market do better. It is really erratic right now.

Well, within chaos is order, you just have to find tactics that work and run with it, and what works one day might not work another.

I'm no expert by any means, so take my "advice" with a grain of salt, but Stocks aren't something you can do on a whim (not that I'm saying you do). I would consider this first experience just that, a learning experience, and just keep trying and reformulating, ask people what they do etc. etc.

anywho I wish you good luck in your future stock endeavors and never give up!

I remember running stock simulators in college but I never really got into it to tell you the truth. Anyone know if there's any online resource to where you could do like a fantasy stock market purchase?

As for NVDA, I'm not sure of any news that would keep them down like that but don't they publish investor's news, quarterly earnings reports? Maybe the answer lies in there somewhere. Expenses must be going up but I would think that their profits would eb too since there putting the hurt on ATI. Maybe this is just a small valley before they really start to hit a peak.

I'm now at the point where I have about 15k I'd be willing to throw in there but I'm not gonna do it without heavy research first.If there is a recession looming (that's nto a given yet), then it might be a good time to buy in don't you think? from my limited knowledge I agree that you go long haul. Maybe I should start in with some mutual funds. Recommendations?

Wow you are great help. Since I apparently know nothing, with 2 members of my family as millionaire investment advisors.....why don't you lead me down the path to riches.

I didn't buy at a high price. Until just now, experts have had NVDA graded as a buy stock. It is now a hold, which caused the huge decline today, almost 10% down.

NVDA has been steadily growing since 2004, it was in the mid 30's for a majority of 2007. The 8800GTs exploded and did well, and record profits are on the books and expected next year also. Competition is being beat to a pulp recently.

I was wondering if something happened that I didn't know of, if you aren't going to help I would appreciate no comment instead of a negative one.

Now I have a habit of calling people out when I smell B.S. As far as your "investment" goes, you should have taken classes or did some personal research on stocks, bonds, funds, etc. Check out the Investment Company of Research website; it was helpful to me. Following that, I've talked to some professors in the school of business at my old insitution for some advice on the "inner-workings" of investments (how to understand market fluctuations, demand-supply issues, etc.) It doesn't take two millionare advisors to understand investing or to justify why you spent all your life savings on a bad tip.

Added: Instead of dumping your money in one basket, diversify.... You can do this domestically or internationally; but this may lead you in the direction of new emerging markets (risky, but profitable returns); China is a prime example of a nation that provides new emerging market investment opportunities, but have a history of lapsing after "the thrill is gone." I personally have not ventured past American stocks yet. I would probably make more on my returns had I done so given our economic situation (since 2003).

Now I have a habit of calling people out when I smell B.S. As far as your "investment" goes, you should have taken classes or did some personal research on stocks, bonds, funds, etc. Check out the Investment Company of Research website; it was helpful to me. Following that, I've talked to some professors in the school of business at my old insitution for some advice on the "inner-workings" of investments (how to understand market fluctuations, demand-supply issues, etc.) It doesn't take two millionare advisors to understand investing or to justify why you spent all your life savings on a bad tip.

Added: Instead of dumping your money in one basket, diversify.... You can do this domestically or internationally; but this may lead you in the direction of new emerging markets (risky, but profitable returns); China is a prime example of a nation that provides new emerging market investment opportunities, but have a history of lapsing after "the thrill is gone." I personally have not ventured past American stocks yet. I would probably make more on my returns had I done so given our economic situation (since 2003).

I don't believe I ever said once that I've only bought NVDA. NVDA was just a recent one.

My big gains so far have been in UTX (United Technologies) and OXY (Occidental Petroleum) I've also had some real losers like JBSS (John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc.).

Along with NVDA in December I also got in on GPRO (Gen-Probe). I think NVDA and GPRO are safe bets in the long run but I am not very happy with the January performance of Nvidia so far. Very much unexpected.....ask anyone that owns it. (or at least follows it, which I have done for the past 2 years)

Also, I still haven't encountered an answer for my question from people calling me out on my B.S.

Anyone have an answer other than a "looming recession"?

You bought shares in NVDA and you're reporting losses. You would need to give us more information about the price of the share you bought, at the time you bought it to its status now, i.e. we need more raw data. Unfortunately, putting your personal finances on a forum isn't a good idea.

This particular industry fluctuates far too often for my money. The only pros of owning its shares is if you own a substantial portion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you spent $900 for shares. Some stocks, depending on the amount of shares you bought, will return very little or nothing at all. In my opinion, a small investment in a high, fluctuating market isn't a place for an "average" investor.

You would have a better chance at investing this money in cardiovascular research for some for-profit company. At least in this, you can have some level of predictability (e.g. the annual % of heart-related illnesses in the US; % of ethnic groups with heart-related diseases; % of the US population who are overweight and/or obese; etc.). You can almost guarantee research will only continue to advance and provide a "steady" flow of revenue in this area. NVDA stocks do not offer that kind of "reliability." But, I'm not an aggressive investor.

This particular industry fluctuates far too often for my money. The only pros of owning its shares is if you own a substantial portion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you spent $900 for shares. Some stocks, depending on the amount of shares you bought, will return very little or nothing at all. In my opinion, a small investment in a high, fluctuating market isn't a place for an "average" investor.

Where did you get $900 from?

(300 shares) x ($35.47) = $10,641

dhgunit

Ah the $900...that was the loss I took on one of my first investments, it still hurts. Yeah I had to learn the hard way about investing. I could've used that $900 towards a new custom whiskey flask and an original dana 4 speed pistol grip with console. Da*mnit. Took me awhile to recover - emotionally.

Anyway, you gambled over $10,000 USD on NVDA stock. If I knew you were going to blow that kind of money on a half-empty glass, then I would've recommended that you check out Pfizer instead - a company that actually makes your glass half-full for the right price. H*ll, why not Google, China Petrol, T-Mobile, or even Starbucks (which has been making its way into international markets - I know Starbuck investment incentives involve awarding shareholders with more shares as opposed to in dividends).

Now this is not to say that profit cannot be had in NDVA stock, however, $10,000 in this market is at odds given how steep this market can fluctuate.

Another op said "buy low" ---Ideally, if $34.XX/share is relatively high, then wait until NVDA stock takes a another hit, and buy what you can. When it recovers...then you'll see returns *however, there is the risk that the returns will not exceed your losses.

If I went to the bank today and withdrew $10,000, I wouldn't throw it into this particular industry. Call a firm and open a high-dollar account - comes with marketability - decent returns and not a lot of roller coasters. Better yet, give the money to your millionare advisors and let them manage it for you. I could almost guarantee that they would not recommend dumping $10,000 in NVDA stock.

Also, if you are employed, start looking at Roth IRAs. Other options are buying bonds...but if anything, research what you are investing with caution. For $10,000, you could've bought shares into any number of roadside franchises. 1) American's love fast food; 2) America is the captial of the world when it comes to fast food. 3) Fast food is apart of American culture.

You deserve an "A" for effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom