A couple questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiningOdin

Baseband Member
Heya guys, I ordered a new motherboard, CPU, Ram, Heatsink, and case. It should be here tomorrow, so before I get to ripping parts out of my computer, probably resulting in its ultimate doom, I just wanted to know a couple things..

1) Will I need to reinstall an OS?

2) How exactly am I supposed to thermal paste my CPU? It is a Core 2 Quad Q6600, and I hear the "line method" is the best technique for them, and I have a pretty good idea of what to do there, but some pictures or something would be good, as I am afraid to do it wrong and have to wait another week for more thermal paste, along with the trouble of taking it off and everything <_<;

Thanks in advance.

i think the only time you need to install your OS is when you install a new Hard Drive. As for the thermal paste i just put a few drops in the middles of the CPU and spread it around with my finder, enough to thoroughly coat the whole CPU.

i think the only time you need to install your OS is when you install a new Hard Drive. As for the thermal paste i just put a few drops in the middles of the CPU and spread it around with my finder, enough to thoroughly coat the whole CPU.

Or when you change mobos.

So, on to #2, I would appreciate some more info on thermal pasting. Especially pics D:

Also, when thermal pasting, after it is applied, do you leave it on there forever? Or do you scrape it off at some point?

driver wise. you need to install motherboard drivers, graphics card drivers (from website of manufacturer, ie xfx or evga) any pci cards like soundcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom