Thermalright Ultra-120 + Armor questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulling air into the heatsink. You can also use the push pull method, where you mount two 120s on the TRUE.

I've just attached another 120mm to my TRUE. I think I've got it right, basically, the first fan pulls the air into the heatsink (sticker side facing towards heatsink fins) and the other fan (nearest exhaust case fan) is also sending the air out of the case...

FAN -----> AIR {Heatsink} Fan----> AIR {Case Exhaust Fan} ----> Warm Air going out.

I only use an intake fan, but my rear case fan is only about 1" from the heatsink anyway so it pulls plenty of air? BTW, what does a lapping kit include. All you need is a piece of glass (mirror or picture), sandpaper and water.

Right, I'm going to lap my heatsink this weekend.

Before I do, though, I just want to make sure that I'm definately doing the right thing.

From what I understand, the best thing to do is to secure the sandpaper (starting with the courer types, like 400) to the glass, and slowly and gently start moving the heatsink base over the sandpaper in a clockwise/anti-clockwise fashion? Then, move onto the next grit, such as 600 and so on until you get to the finest grit (2000).

One thing I'm a bit unsure about is when people say its best to bevel the outside of the heatsink's pad first to stop "stuttering". Do you just take a courser piece of sandpaper and slowly rub along the edges of the pad first?

Thanks all.

All i did was pull the heatsink to me about 25-30 times, rotate, repeat. Theres really no need to go past 400 grit sandpaper. You want flat, shiny isnt really necessary.

Thanks for the reply, veedubfreek.

Yeah, I went all the way up to 2000 grit yesterday! It took me ages! The thing is, if I started and stopped at 400 grit, the surface looks all scratched and rough, (due to the courseness of the sandpaper) - does that not matter as long as its flat?

Also, after ages of lapping, the bottom of the heatsink is still uneven (you can see light in between the gaps if you place your CPU on the heatsink's pad, as shown in the guide within this thread)...I'm wondering if its worth lapping the CPU? Anyone agree? Or should I just go back and re-lap my heatsink?

I lapped both the cpu and heatsink. Like i said, i only used 400grit. You want flat, any scratches and such are small enough that the TIM will fill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom