Win 98 Upgrade...Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The computer has 512 ram and first generation pIII. So I dont see RAM being an issue.

You say the install cant continue cause of corrupt files. Have you checked to make sure the CD was clean with no scratches?

The CD is practically new, well it cant be cause 2k is so many years old but its only been used once. The first thing I did was check to see for scratches and if it was dirty.

Have you run any scans on the PC. Upgrades are shotty at best. If there is ANYTHING wrong with the current install it will carry over. From viruses to spy ware and so on. So make sure you want to do this.

delete the old partition, then install 2000.

download the powermax floppy to delete the drive, if you need it

You say the install cant continue cause of corrupt files. Have you checked to make sure the CD was clean with no scratches?

or try a different cd rom drive.

you can take the hdd out and put it in another machine and format it. then you can copy the contents of the cd onto the drive or install it from the booting cd.. then start the install. when the install process are done copying the files and it restart but before the actual install process, you can turn off the machine and put it back in the first machine if you had ME you can install it on the other machine then put the hdd back on the first one when done

most old machines with win 98 don't support booting from cd

They can if you use a boot disc. Those machines didnt have support for CD ROM's back then you are right. But using a boot disc should resolve this issue.

When XP first came out, I had a lot of trouble installing it on a few computers because of hardware support. I think there were certain motherboards back then that just wouldn't let you install XP. I actually had the exact same problem you described on my dad's computer back then and it was because XP wasn't supported on his motherboard. It's possible you won't be able to get it on there no matter what you do. Maybe try updating the BIOS.

Going down that memory lane makes me laugh at people's complaints about Vista.

Just a quick update.

I got a win98 recovery disk from a guy in my personal finance class, ir did nothing. I used the XP Pro boot disk, they did nothing. Prior to this we had a conversation saying if I could get it up and running then fine, if not they are going to go and get a new one tomorrow from this place I sent them. It wouldn't read my cd or my floppy. So I got ****ed and I went into the BIOS to check everything. There was no optionfor Advanced CMOS or anything so I just went through evey option and found the boot sequence under BIOS setup. Thats where it was set to boot only from C drive. Which I don't understand why the tech who installed the new hdd and the clean install of win98 would set it to boot only from C drive. So I set it to boot from A>D>C, and then it picked up my disk and I removed the semi install of win2k and whatever was left of win98.

Windows installed installed smoothly and is running great. I actually found out that there was 8GB hard drive insead of 4GB, I know its not a lot of space but its better then installing windows on a 4GB hdd. So now the computer runs fine.

They are still planning on getting a new desktop. Basically they said just to try to get it up and going, at least temporarily, and they will pick up a new system in a bit.

So thanks everyone for you input I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom