Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calriddia

Beta member
I was working on my computer today in Microsoft Word 2000. When I went to save my file on my second hard drive my computer prompted me with this error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy error). Before doing this, I was trying to download the Windows XP Service Package. It also came up with an error saying that something on my computer was not of Microsoft making or had a microsoft logo, but it said nothing about any of my hardware being incompatible with Windows. So, I moved on. I canceled the download because it had been many times of me trying to download and install it (after closing it, it never said anything about effecting hardware or software). I have tried the scan disk, but it closes itself and I have tried the Defrag, but it says there is 'no volume'. When I click on the drive from My Computer, it tells me, after a long pause, that the disk is not formatted.

Help me! What can I do? :confused: :mad: :no:

Thank you!

I don't believe that there is much you can do. I think that your hard drive is toast. That cyclic redundancy error is a sign that your drive heads are bad.

At least that's what happened to me when I had a hard drive go bad. If it's still under warranty, contact the manufacturer, RMA it, and get a new one. Install windows on the new drive, and copy what you can off of the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom