Windows only sees 3.2 gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3wcl@w

Baseband Member
I have recently upgraded (he he) back to xp from vista and i recognised that xp only sees 3.2 gb of ram in my system when i have 4.0gb in the bios it shows up but not xp any suggestions why not.? cheers

That's because you have a 32bit version of XP. 32bit versions can only recognize up to 3-3.5GB of RAM (including your videocard RAM). 64bit OS's, on the other hand, can recognize above 4GB.

32 bit operating systems like xp, Linux, and some versions of vista can only use about 3.5 gb of memory(ram+video card).To use 4gb of ram you would need a 64bit operating system like Vista 64bit.

you can enable PAE mode, and have all 4GB usable.

open boot.ini (you'll have to un-check "read only") and add "/PAE" to the end of it

so it looks something like this:

Code:
[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /PAE

It's because windows can only address up to 4GB (2^32bits = 4GB) ram, but some of this address space is needed for hardware. The more peripherals you have, the less it will be able to use as RAM.

I'm not sure the PAE switch allows you to use the WHOLE 4GB, but it should allow you to use more than you can currently. It's been a while since I ran 4GB, I don't really remember :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom