Recommended Microsoft Word replacment

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has suggested google docs. I have been using that lately and have found it to be at least half way decent. No doubt Open Office and Word are much more powerfull but here is where Google Docs beats them out. Portability in other words no matter where you are as long as you have a computer with an internet connection you can bring up your doc.

No one has suggested google docs. I have been using that lately and have found it to be at least half way decent. No doubt Open Office and Word are much more powerfull but here is where Google Docs beats them out. Portability in other words no matter where you are as long as you have a computer with an internet connection you can bring up your doc.

Not all computers have internet.

How about a computer with a USB port?
OpenOffice.org Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

When I tried Google Apps a while back you had to have web server space to set up your account. It was going to take a lot more effort than I cared to give when I already had OpenOffice.

Other than that, the portability is kind of cool.

Google Apps is not the same as Google Docs. Google apps is a prepackage of all their services tailored to a business branding.

just go to doscs.google.com

google docs is very fast.

Abiword is nice for common notes, and then I use openoffice for reports and papers.

IBM is also working on its own word processor based on OOo: IBM Lotus Symphony

Google Docs is alright if you dont mind 2 things. 1. Sharing your Doc info with Google. 2. Sharing your Doc infow ith the world since all the docs are saved on google servers which can be searched.

Plus a net connection is also needed....

Google Apps is not the same as Google Docs. Google apps is a prepackage of all their services tailored to a business branding.

just go to docs.google.com
Cool. I just checked it out. The portability and ability to get to your files from anywhere is nice. But I don't really like the interface and lack of features. I wouldn't use it if I had other options available.

Defiantly Open Office closet thing to Microsoft office you will ever find. Open Office will even open Microsoft files. Great part is Open Office totally FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom