uhhhh WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
can anyone tell me why all of the sudden my D drive has become my E drive?
D still shows up, but when i put a cd or game in, it shows it in E. it wont let me do anything with the D (it says "insert disc" anytimw i try to open D. this just started like....ten minutes ago.
all i've ever had (as far as optical) has been a single dvd/cd drive, the same one i have now.
any ideas????

Have you tried poking around in device manager, maybe you can try disabling any other drives it shows, and then reenabling.. Unless it shows the drive you trying to get working, in that case you can try driver update or reenable.

A: does it really matter?

But even if it isn't that big a deal, here are some possibilities. First, if you have messed with the BIOS lately, you may have switched the IDE devices by accident. Second, if you've been inside the PC, you also may have plugged the cords in differently (my basement PC does this, where the bottom drive is D: and the top is E: ). If none of these are the case, Windows has a Disk Management thing (check under either Accessories -> System Tools or under the Control Panel, maybe under Administrative or something) that may allow you to reconfigure the drive letters.

EDIT: no nitestick i dont think so. apokalipse and i were trying to get my evga board to accept a foxconn bios update, but it didnt work. i did install ultraISO. started after that i suppose.
the bios update never booted so i know it doesnt have anything to do with that.
i only have one dvd drive.
now, it works as the E drive. before, it was the D drive. now D drive doesnt do anything.
it doesnt really matter i guess, i am just curious as to why it happened.
1st: i only have one ide device, and it is the drive in question. i will look at bios, but i dont think that is the problem.
2nd: i haven't changed any plugs, as stated i have only one ide device.
3rd: disc management will not allow me to change the letter to D, as D is not even recognized (but somehow its taken)...so the letters start at E.

apparently it had something to do with ultraISO. i deleted it, the useless D drive disappeared, and i was able to change the drive letter of the E drive back to D.
thanks for jiggling my brain.

can anyone tell me why all of the sudden my D drive has become my E drive?
D still shows up, but when i put a cd or game in, it shows it in E. it wont let me do anything with the D (it says "insert disc" anytimw i try to open D. this just started like....ten minutes ago.
all i've ever had (as far as optical) has been a single dvd/cd drive, the same one i have now.
any ideas????
what does diskmgmt.msc show?

got it figured out thanks apokalipse.
never got the bios to flash, though, and i exhausted my ideas of why i couldn't.
although, i am not familiar enough with ultraISO to really know what i am doing...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom