500$...2 cards or 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gl600

Baseband Member
Hello,
I'm building a computer and i'd like your opinion.
If you had approx. 500$, would you get one awesome graphics card or two average ones? (and why?).
Also, which one/ones would you go for?
Thanks!

The only reason to go multi-gpu is when the top performing card isnt enough. That being said, either get 2 3870s or a single GTS512. SLI is a giant headache, mostly due to the nvidia chipsets you have to use.

Yeah dual card is only good when it's two of the top cards, otherwise you're better off going with a single better card. I'm probably going to be ordering an EVGA 8800GT or GTS so that if the 9800 comes out in 90 days I can step-up to it.

It's my understanding that using 2 fairly good cards will help alot when gaming at high resolutions. That being said, the dual core GPU's are coming out soon and they're like 2 cards in 1. I heard the 3870x2 is gonna be priced at like 500$

its PCI-e 2.0... but it doesn't "require" a PCI-e 2.0 SLot

I know the current PCI-E 2.0 cards don't, but I thought maybe the dual core cards might be different. If not, what eventually is going to require, or at least take advantage of, PCI-E 2.0? The current cards do not benchmark any better in a 2.0 slot versus a x16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom