Ultimate or Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the skinny on NT 6.0 .

The way vista was made, it runs half the speed of any NT version before it.
To get the most out of your system either go with XP Sp3, or Vista RC2.

Also, look at the benches with SP1. There was a 1% improvement in speed, which is basically NOTHING.

The only way to get gaming performance is to stay with XP.

wtf is Vista RC2? I want DX10 and I want 64 bit and XP64 support is supposedly horrible. If I'm going to buy an OS I cannot see myself spending the money on antiquated software.

I knew when I asked this that there would be XP proponents, but I'm really just trying to decide between Ultimate 64 and Home Premium 64. XP is not an option for me.

Dual boot. I run xp pro and vista home premium 64, but ive had so many issues with vista 64 (mainly because of SLI) that i keep going back to XP. Once i pull the plug on SLI i'll try to stick with vista.

Here is the skinny on NT 6.0 .

The way vista was made, it runs half the speed of any NT version before it.
To get the most out of your system either go with XP Sp3, or Vista RC2.

Also, look at the benches with SP1. There was a 1% improvement in speed, which is basically NOTHING.

The only way to get gaming performance is to stay with XP.

This is utter garbage. First off it does not run at half the speed of any NT version before it cause it ISNT NT BASED. It is just like XP and uses code from both the 9x platform and the NT platform. Where do you get that it is NT based? That is just so wrong.

The Benches with SP1 are so far off in comparison. We have already gone over this. They made those comparison's with machines that were very high end for XP but barely standard for Vista. You can not ocmpare them fairly without making the ground even for both. If you put in 1GB for XP which runs from 128MB then you should give Vista 3GB. Since 1GB is 3x the amount of RAM that XP needs to run.

As for gaming performance i can say from personal experience that there is no significant lose in gmaing. I lost 1 FPS!!! JUST 1!!!! No big difference there to make anyone stay in XP. Vista RC2 was one of the worst builds of Vista ever. Just by you saying that you should stick with Vista RC2 tells me you dont knwo a dang thing about using Vista. Vista RC2 cant even be used anymore since the TimeBomb has already gone off on it.

When will people stop reading every little word that these articles write about Vista? They are not fully accurate. They are only 1 person's single sided view of Vista. It is not the full story and not always the truth.

I use both Ultimate and Premium. Mostly Premium since I use my laptop all the time, since I dont live at home where my rig in my sig is located. They both are very good operating systems, any version you choose is worth it.

Just out of curiosity why Vista 64? While Vista 64 is nice it can be tough to find drivers for some hardware.

64 Bit is supposed to be the next OS. The support for 32 Bit is supposed to decline and 64 Bit is supposed to take over and be the next OS platform.

At first for Windows 7 Microsoft announced that they would no longer support 32 Bit. They said it was gong to be a 64 BIt only OS. But after Vista was released and they saw that 32 Bit was still the majority they went back and said they would do a 32 Bit flavor as well.

OS X is no longer 32 Bit AFAIK. That has already made the switch over to strictly 64 Bit already.

I have both vista ultimate 32bit and ultimate 64bit both are loaded on amd 64x2 chips. I find the 32bit works better just my observation. I am also running into driver issues when it comes to third party hardware such as palm ont he 64bit. I hope that changes but it is an issue to consider when moving to a 64bit os from a 32bit os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom