Need some help with comp upgrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay from what i can tell that is a biostar (and maybe some other brands) motherboard, and it is socket 939 (s939).
the 4200 that you have is the best dual core chip you can put in there, besides an opteron 185 or fx-60, which are both 2.6ghz.
the opteron is a good chip, but you would need to overclock it to see any benefit over the 4200, and that likely isnt possible, since your comp is a pre-built. your looking at 230ish dollars for the chip alone, and you can almost build an am2 or low end intel build for that much (cheap ddr2 ram, mobo and chip), so its really not worth it.
the fx-60 is an EXCELLENT chip, and has an unlocked cpu multiplier, making for extremely easy overclocking. though, once again, it is likely you would not be able to take advantage of it.
if you can find a cheap fx-60, it would be a decent upgrade at stock and the possibility is there that you could oc it (not likely though). and its even less likely that you will find a cheap one.
sorry to disappoint.
as far as the ddr2-800, no you cannot use it in that mobo (if it is the one i think). it uses ddr, not ddr2.
graphics...i have no idea. depends on wether you have pcie or agp. likely it is pcie.

The 6100 is PCI-E. Hmmm... Maybe the model number is different. The only GT5228 were the AMD media center, and the GT5228j with a C2D, both which take DDR2.

Something smells fishy here...

i dunno...i used this number...C51MCP51
and came up with several s939 mobo listings for it. some for biostar, some for foxconn.
the wierdest thing i noticed was that there is 533mhz ddr...which i didnt know lol. i thought it only went up to ddr 400. thats what was totally throwing me off about it.
OP we need some cpuz screenies.

ok dled CPUz and ran it i dont know how to take a screenshot so im just gonna type it all out.

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Windsor
Socket AM2

Mainboard
Manufacturer: First International Computer Inc.
Model: K2BC51G/PV
chipset: Geforce 6100
Southbridge: Nforce 410/430 MCP

Memory
DDR2
channels # dual

thats pretty much all it says. Sorry for all the confusion. Hope this helps

Ok having some questions and concerns. I said in the original post that i was going to get a 3850...well I said screw it and bought a HD3870 with a Single slot cooler (also upgraded to a 500w PS and 2Gb of 800MHZ ram). My question is what is the highest safe operating Temp. When i got it out of the box it was idleing at 60c so i Dled RivaTuner and put the Fan up to 100% now i have it overclocked at GPU Clock at 820 and Mem Clock at 1251 and temp is 56c (idle) but when i go to WoW (all Max Settings)(1280x1024) i get up to somewhere around 75c after only 10 mins or so. I have the orginal case. My question is am i going to have to get a dremmel tool and put some fans in my case? Also i have my comp sitting right next to my Heater ( I have a wall heater), Now i realize its not gonna matter wheather my comp is next to my heater in spring, summer and fall, but winter maybe a problem. Another problem i am having and it just started as i was typing all this out is i have been switching from programs to this forum and i got a sort of black screen with my taskbar at the top and some other screens (repeating taskbar from top to bottom) I realize this maybe a driver issue but i have read some review of the Sapphire HD3870 and they say just use drivers on disk. Is that right or should i just update drivers. I plan on Getting Crysis in the near future and want to be able to play it and not get my GPU Temp to high. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom