Overwhelmed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunulos

Baseband Member
Deep Breath.... Ok i'm looking to buy a Gaming Laptop for ~€1,500, i'll be travelling around a bit so it needs to be reliable and have a good battery life and built in wifi NIC. Wherever i purchase from has to be able to deliver to Ireland. I'm a little green on the brands, but i have a dell desktop which i like and have been looking at the XPS range:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

The 1st is cheaper and has a better processer. It has a {128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS} and the 2nd has a {256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900}, I dont know which is better there. The second sys also has 7200rpm HD. Does that make much difference?

I also know little about dedicated/shared graphics memory, are the above 2 dedicated? I have XP atm and with all the issues people are having with Vista i'm inclined to stay the same. I'll probably end up having to compromise somewhere though. This one also caught my eye:

Asus G1S Gaming Laptop G1S-AK005C From Laptops Direct

Can I please get some feedback from people less green than I (or a slap of reality if you can find systems better than these) :surprised: ...

Thanks!

I think the asus might be your best bet. It had a better video card and more dedicated memory for you vid card. Not a big fan of dells low end systems, and think there high end systems are by far overpriced.

The XPS line sucks. They are severely overpriced. The Vostro's a better bet for the money.

Here, saved you a ton of money:

T7250 >>> T7500

Vista >>> XP (There's no price difference, but I much prefer XP for gaming)

8400M GS >>> 8600M GT

and you're looking at € 824.00

For the following specs:

*Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
*Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
*Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
*15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
*Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera
*3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x1024 + 1x2048 MB)
*160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
*256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
*Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
*Free upgrade from 6 cell battery to 9 cell battery

Pretty much matches that Asus, but for a much better price.. good luck!

Oh My God :speechless:

Practically the same thing only much cheaper :love_at_first:

Is the upgrade to 7200 HD worth the €145?

Thanks for your replies!

Oh My God :speechless:

Practically the same thing only much cheaper :love_at_first:

Is the upgrade to 7200 HD worth the €145?

Thanks for your replies!

im not sure about Euro's to American dollars conversion but for what your gona want to do a faster HD is always better and that means less lag @ boot and less lag when starting games. :)

*edit* i converted the 145 euro's to american dollars and its all if you have the cash to do it, if you do have it go for it, but if not oh well. it seems like alot but the difference between 5400RMP HD's and 7200RMP HD's are outstanding performance wise.*/edit*

I'll get it so, Merkwürdigliebe saved me a ton anyway.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Whats the easiest way to get this hooked up to the cable internet at home?
2 desktops that dont have wireless already.

Whats the easiest way to get this hooked up to the cable internet at home?
2 desktops that dont have wireless already.

The laptop has an onboard wireless adapter. If you have two computers sharing one internet connection already, then I'm assuming you are using a regular router, replace that router with a wireless one, and you'll still have those two wired connections, plus a wireless signal around your home for your laptop to tap into.

Wireless routers are very common and cheap nowadays, I'm sure it's the same in Ireland ;) Just go to your local electronics store and get any old wireless router. I have a Linksys WRT54G and it works like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom