Compaq Presario V2000 CPU Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpumas

Beta member
I have a Presario V2000 and the CPU fan went out. First it got noisy then I guess it just quit. Now the computer shuts down because of inadequate cooling. On the bench the fan runs but is noisy. My question is if I buy a new fan will it work or does Compaq fuse the fan circuit when it overcurrents because of a defective fan. If so, where is the fuse and is it a surface mount soldered into the fan circuit.

Fans don't have fuses, the fan just pooped out. Call Compaq about this and they might offer you a replacement.

Peter, you say fans are not fused. Does that include laptops and is the fan on all the time or does it go through a thermal switch and/or does the CPU control the on/off? My concern it that if I buy a new fan and something else is fried, then I haven't fixed the problem.

I doubt the fan is fried. Fans are controlled by thermal sensors on the motherboard, CPU, and other areas of the PC. If certain ones (CPU especially) get too hot, the PC powers off to prevent damage. It can also detect the RPM (speed) of the fan, and if the fan isn't spinning fast enough/at all, then it will also shut down due to defective fan. Most likely the fan runs on the bench because there's less stuff in the way...an old desktop of mine did that, where fan would run if I held it in my hand, but not in the PC. My desktop also kept shutting off one time after I worked on it because I forgot to plug the CPU fan back in. I highly doubt the fan circuit is dead, fans are mechanical devices that wear out as they spin, get dust in the motor, and get worn away by friction. Just ask Compaq for a replacement, and if you can't get one, look online for a replacement fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom