Bluray and/or HDDVD drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

infint3

Solid State Member
When do you all think well start having to buy some new drives to play our "next generation" of games or do you think developers will just keep the Multi-DVD distribution for longer than expected.

Also with the price, should anyone have do decide between a new optical drive or an 8800gtx?

well, movies and console games operate differently then computer games. With computer games the PC itself outputs the resolution whereas the with DVD movies the content generally has to be recorded in the resolution to played at.

As well, when you play a PC game, the DVD is only the storage medium needed to get the files onto the computer. That is not the case with consoles, so more memory is needed for console games.

Look at it this way, PC games are only now using DVD's, it will be a while until games have enough files on them that blue ray or HD-DVD's are needed.

With Warners taking the side of blue ray, i wonder what chance HD-DVD now has.

WB switching to Blu-Ray is a pretty big deal, hopefully it will help bring about an end to this format war. I don't care which side wins, just don't want this dumb split ;)

ya WB,HBO, and New Line took a big toll on HDDVD, Paramounts contract is up in 13 months and Paramounts is in march i believe lol.

I would Say Blu-ray for sure, but you can just wait it out and wait for BD Drives to get cheaper, especially burners even tho they are affordable now.

So your all saying that DVD is far from being killed off?

I agree, HDDVD took a big hit after WB took sides with Bluray

CD's are still in use, so yeah, DVD's are far from being killed off.

So far there is only one use for blue rays. high def movies, that operate at 1080p. The only reason the PS3 uses blue ray is because sony owns the right to the patent, so duh they are gonna try to promote it. Microsoft doesnt even want to use the new formats for their console, so i wouldnt worry about blue rays becoming mainstream for a loooooong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom