Need opinions/review on build~

Status
Not open for further replies.

monagi

Baseband Member
Looking to make this build in ~2-3 months (hoping for a few price drops). Starting w/just 2GB ram and 1 512 8800GT (can always upgrade ram + add another 512 8800GT in the future for upgrades, yay SLI). I also have a 150gb WD raptor ready to put into it.. the HD I am buying below will be primarily for storage. Only thing I am not too sure about is the mobo...can't seem to make a choice on one. Suggestions? Comments? Thanks!

Case: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail

PSU: Newegg.com - Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified - Retail

RAM: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

CPU Fan: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Vid Card: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 C55+MCP55P; a.k.a. nForce 650i SLI & nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

DvD-RW: Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

Monitor: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail

Looks good I just ordered 4gb of that ram tonight, rebate ends tomorrow.

hdd good, mobo good, vid card I would save $20 get the standard and overclock it yourself. CPU fan is ok if you can fit it in with the side fan Tuniq would be better but oly if you can fit it, not worth losing that big nasty 25cm over.
You should get a SATA DVD-RW instead of an IDE, SATA has better data transfer rates

EDIT: nm, I ordered the 800Mhz TRACER RAM. $40 after mail in rebate for each set

Looks good I just ordered 4gb of that ram tonight, rebate ends tomorrow.

hdd good, mobo good, vid card I would save $20 get the standard and overclock it yourself. CPU fan is ok if you can fit it in with the side fan Tuniq would be better but oly if you can fit it, not worth losing that big nasty 25cm over.
You should get a SATA DVD-RW instead of an IDE, SATA has better data transfer rates

I am not too knowledgable when it comes to overclocking, is there much to it? If not I'll just go with the standard.

If the CPU fan doesn't fit, I can always move that 25cm to the outside of the side panel to free up space, no biggie ;)

Good call on the DVD-RW, I'll change that up to this: Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

nah, there's not much too overclocking, just going into bios and adjusting frequencies, multipliers and occasionaly voltages, pretty much. That is a decent board for overclocking too from what I've read. Most all Asus are. It wouldn't really be worth getting the Zalman or the Tuniq if you're not overclocking.

I'd been planning to, just makes me nervous heh. But I'll have plenty of cooling, and I'll just do plenty of research first, so it should be fine.

Everything looks great for the build you're about to put together! Good job on researching. :happy: Love these techies who can research for themselves and post up a solid build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom