I'm trying to totally upgrade my computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That means you have 4 Slots of RAM. But you wouldn't need 4 sticks of RAM if you don't do anything crazy such as Video-editing/encoding and such. 2GB of RAM would be more then enough for gaming. The colors of the slots means they're in Dual Channel. So when it's in Dual Channel, it means they're DIMM (Dual In-Line Memory Module). Running 2 sticks to get it to the speed of 1. You'll have to plug the RAM into the same colored slot for it to work in Dual Channel. So I'm assuming you have 2 512mb right now.

An aftermarket cooler would be a Heatsink Fan that is bought separately. A stock cooler would be the one that came with the purchase of your CPU/Processor. Well if you're planning to buy the Q6600, I would suggest you to get this as your aftermarket cooler. And you'll have to get thermal paste for your CPU, this.

Alright, cool. Now, since I have 4 slots, should I leave my old 2 in there and put in the new ram also? Surely 3 GB is better than 2 GB? Or is this another misguided viewpoint? Also, how does thermal pasting work?

Not necessarily, you won't see much of a difference between 2GB and 3GB. I'd say just run 2GB of RAM. As for the thermal paste, it acts as a thermal conductivity between the surfaces of the CPU and the surfaces of the heatsink. Its job is to draw away the heat from the CPU and passing it onto the aftermarket cooler.

Yes, they should all work on your computer. Thing is that, everything that's on your computer right now, won't work with these parts you're about to order. I think you get what I'm saying. The RAM wouldn't work because it's a different speed. The speed is the PC2 6400 and such. Since your old RAM is PC2 4300, it's not compatible with PC2 6400. I think you get it, correct? :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom