NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM??

Status
Not open for further replies.
NTLDR and NTDETECT.com were in 2 places on my comp. The first was c:\I386 and the other was c:\windows\service pack files\I386

I think it has to do with backwards compatability, but don't quote me on that.

FYI, there is a handy little search tool built into Window Explorer :D

bla!! said:
NTLDR and NTDETECT.com were in 2 places on my comp. The first was c:\I386 and the other was c:\windows\service pack files\I386

I think it has to do with backwards compatability, but don't quote me on that.

FYI, there is a handy little search tool built into Window Explorer :D

LOL... :p :D :p :D

Dummies, why are you searching for these files? Are you having problems w/ your PC??

bla !!, Lone Wolf, MicroBell... First, thanks for yours reply. :)

How do I install Windows 2000 after I've installed Windows XP?
(without 3rd party software)

Backup NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM

1) In Windows XP, open Windows Explorer and locate NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the root directory of your boot drive. These are usually Hidden files, so you'll have to adjust your Explorer options to show them.
2) Copy these files to a blank, formatted floppy, or other location that will be available after the Win2K install.
I want to dual boot my PC with win2000 and winXP, by installing win2000 after I've installed winXP and i found an article that required me to copy this 2 files to floppy.

But still i can't found this 2 files in my root directory, also iI've search all my drive, still i can't found these 2 files. Any idea?

Or any other way to let me dual boot my com with win2000/winXP? :rolleyes:

I don't know if the method you found on the internet will work or not. It probably won't.

If you already have W2K installed, boot up to windows normally and log in as the Admin. Insert the XP CD and it will ask you if you want to upgrade or do a full installation. You want the 2nd option. Later in the install process it will give you the option to install XP onto a separate partition or drive.

I would strongly recommend you back up all your data first and then create a separate partition for dual-booting w/ the two OSes.

First, thanks for your reply.

The dula boot method you mentioned above is install winXP after win2k installed right?

But now i have winXP installed on my C drive, and i want to add on win2k to my another partition (D drive), any idea how to do that? :confused:

Lone Wolf...

In general, you should always install the most recent OS last. In this case, you should install win2k and then install winXP.

I found another article telling this, so i think i must have winXP install after win2k if i want to dual boot my com right?

I think the previous article and method that require me to copy the 2 files, which are "NTDETECT.COM" and "NTDLR" will let me install winXP first, and then win2k after. You can have a look at the article.

http://www.dougknox.com/ ( Under winXP Tips)

My english not so good, hope you understand what i mean.

I ahve enable to view hidden files and use the search function to find these 2 files, but still i can't found them. :confused:

Well that guy seems knowledgeable, it's worth a shot - try it out and see if it works.

As for finding those files, as Bla!! told you earlier, you can use the search feature in windows. Start | Search... and type in the name of those two files one by one.

And your english is just fine... don't worry i can understand you perfectly.

I have installed Windows XP after Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 after Windows XP and replacing the Windows XP NTdetect and NTLDR does work. These two files are located in the root
C:\ . You can also extract them from the Windows XP CD and
it will work. If you can't see them through explorer drop to command prompt and type dir /a at the c:\ prompt.

Extracting it from the CD from command prompt would look like
this c:\copy ?:\i386\ntdetect.com
c:\copy ?:\i386\NTLDR
You will probably get an overwrite existing file. Just select Yes.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom