Last Minute Decision..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
I'm building a new computer and so far I've ordered these parts:
Graphics- 8800gt 512mb
Ram- 2GB DDR2

I have $600 to spend and don't know which i should go with.

Buy another 8800gt and SLI :p
Core2Duo e6550
-OR-
Core2Duo q6600
Really nice case and good cpu cooler

But the SLI option brings up another problem.. i would need a better powersupply.:(

What do u think would be required for..
2x8800gt
2gb Ram
e6550 *heavily oc'd* ;)
250gb HD

Thanks in advance,
Alexsabree

You could do the SLI/E6550 combo now, and upgrade to the 45nm Yorkfields, coming soon. Or go Q6600 and SLI 8800GTs, when they drop in price.

The PC P&C 750W is way too much. The 610W version is better suited. Or the 620HX, like phucng mentioned.

Well think about it, if you get a Q6600 right now, soon later the 45nm Yorkfields would come out and you would be wanting it, right? So now, 8800GT are mainstreams and people are loving how they're running, then it's better to get the E6550 which is G0 (less heat consumption) and SLI the 8800GT. Once the Yorkfields come out, then you can upgrade your CPU and the SLIed 8800GT will still be as great as when you first posted this post.

After thinking real hard and google searching im definitely not going to be SLI'ing the 8800gt. After looking at all the benchmarks and the total cost.. it would seem better to just get the quad core and stick with one card and later on I will upgrade my gpu. Because right now processors aren't the bottleneck for the more modern games out, Graphics cards are.

Even better.. SLI yields horrible results with most games out, I've seen few games that take advantage of it.

SLI still isnt that great! get a Q6600 and a Tuniq Tower bring that baby up to 3.2Ghz +++++

at high resoloution it pays off.
anything less than like 1900 x 1200 it is pretty overkill. always nice to have extra fps...but with one 8800gt @ 1680 x 1050 i get excellent fps in all my new games (i dont have crysis).
i think a 520 corsair would be okay, but i'd go 620 if you are going to OC the crap out of that q6600 and later on have 2 cards oc'd as well.
520 would probably be okay for that even...depending on peripherals. better safe than sorry.

I agree with mose of the other users when they say SLI is overrated. Stick to the q6600 and a good aftermarket heatsync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom