eVGA 780i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't impress me much from the 680i. I don't think there's much improvement, other than support for PCIe 2.0 and 3-Way SLI.

Is there much difference between 680i/780i and P35/X38 other than the SLI or Crossfire?

Not really. The choice between those Nvidia and Intel chipsets, is mainly if you want either SLI or Crossfire.

Is there much difference between 680i/780i and P35/X38 other than the SLI or Crossfire?

Nah, I think reviewers have been summarising the 780i as the 680i+, not really a new chipset, they just boshed the metal in a few places.

Generally, the P35 was streets ahead of the 680i in terms of stability, overclockability, and general problem-free-ness. The 680i was riddled with problems at the start, and its still a mess, with no end of BIOS updates coming out. That said, its not a terrible chipset, its just you'd only really want to get one if you wanted SLI, a 680i would generally do you fine.

I've not heard any bad things about X38 yet, and the 780i is very new, but I'd say that its worth waiting a good 4-6 months on new chipsets and motherboards for these problems and associated fixes to arise. In my view, P35 is a choice you can't fault, unless you are dead set on SLI. And while SLI GT or SLI GTS might the way to go at the moment, I don't see it as a good investment. 2x price for 30% performance increase (at reasonable resolutions), 1GT or 1 GTS512 is more than enough for most things at the moment, and when the new 9 series comes out (not the 9800 botches, but the entirely new G100 core), they will no doubt eclipse GTSLI

The 780i is just a 680i with pci-e 2.0. Its still going to burn out within 6 weeks because nvidia cant design chipsets for crap.

Yes im bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom