Question about upgrading processor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
If this is the motherboard I have: ASRock Motherboard - Product - 775V88+ - Overview

and this is the CPU it supports:
- LGA775 for Intel® Pentium 4/Celeron processor
- FSB 800/533 MHz
- Support advanced Intel® EM64T CPU
- Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
- Intel® 04B/04A processors compatible

Then what kind of a processor should I look for? I'm guessing the max I can go with my FSB is 800MHz? but what about my cache and other things? I have searched on newegg and I've come down to a few results please take a look and let me know if I can pick amongst these four processors or am I looking at the wrong things: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Thanks very much.

I would suggest you either pick the P4 631 or 641 because of their 65nm process, which should run cooler compared to the 90nm 650 or 640.

I would suggest you either pick the P4 631 or 641 because of their 65nm process, which should run cooler compared to the 90nm 650 or 640.

agreed get a Cedar Mill if your gonna get a P4 ;)

consumes less power and uses the cooler 65nm over the 90n from Prescott

But isn't Prescott a faster machine than Cedar mill? maybe I can get aftermarket fan + prescott?

I'm getting a PC because despite having 2GB ram my computer is very slow when I run multiple high consuming applications.

To be honest, there isn't a noticeable performance difference between them. So you might as well go for the one that runs cooler. Which are the Cedar Mills. Plus, you can just overclock the Cedar Mill a little, to match the speed of the Prescott.

When overclocking, it always recommended to get an aftermarket cooler. I would suggest the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

What if I don't care about the life of this processor? if it can last me two years in an overclocked state on stock heatsink and fan then can I go with stock heatsink and fan?

You can do it that way, but you can get further with an aftermarket. It's only around $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom