lost in translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kblueboi

Baseband Member
how's it going?

i was hoping one of you guys could help this less informed semi - noob with building a comp.

i want an affordable comp, that will last me the next 3-4 years till i get out of law school and can afford to splurge. i want a comp for writing papers, surfing the net, email, etc. and a little bit of gaming. the most irksome thing about my current computer is that it takes forever to load windows and load programs. from what i have gathered, i need some more ram and such, but being that i've had my comp for 5 years now, i think its time i just purchase a new one. anyway on with the specs.

my budget is about a 1000. could you guys recommend me some parts? keep in mind that i'm going to keep my current mouse and keyboard. but i do want a new monitor....LCD flatscreen...my friend has told me i need multiple fans to keep the temperature of the cpu down and some gel wouldn't hurt...:confused:

for some reason i'm infatuated with getting a GIG of ram...but i probably don't need it right? i would rather keep my hard drive capacity low...40 gigs should be fine. i would really rather put the extra money into the speed of my comp...split along the cpu, ram, and video card...

thanks a lot!

kblueboi said:
...my friend has told me i need multiple fans to keep the temperature of the cpu down and some gel wouldn't hurt...:confused:

for some reason i'm infatuated with getting a GIG of ram...but i probably don't need it right?

Dude, welcome.

First of all,

Gel ====> hair product. Makes you look cool
Thermal paste =====> computer product. Helps your CPU run cool.

1 GB of RAM... why and what for? ya got a $1000 budget to work with... yeah right... unless you get really POS cheap parts, i doubt you'll be able to squeeze it in. Dont' expect to get that much RAM AND a flat-pan. monitor with $1000.

Get XP Pro, 512 MB is more than sufficient. 1 GB of ram... dude that's only for programmers or for people who do a lot of graphics/video intensive editing. The average user does not need that much.

And if you do get the 'gel' make sure it does't go anywhere near the new PC! :)

Yup welcome to the forums,Isn't Lost in Translation a movie?

Like wolf said 512MB is more than enough

For graphics you should go with an ATI 9800 128MB, Thats my favorite out of the 4 cards I've had.

XP pro is good if you're doing a lot of word processing, and email.

For a CPU definitely go with an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ w/ Barton Core.

For Motherboard go with one that has a nforce2 400 chipset.

For a hardrive get an 80GB 7200RPM if you want you can get a SATA drive instead.

I hope this helped, I know if you look for the best deals you can get all of that for at least 800 to 900 bucks.

Yon, i'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're not a troll out to cause trouble. Don't post that again. If you're asking what country kblueboi is from, just look at his profile.

I suggest you not go around making a mockery of our forums unless you want to see one of the Mods take some swift action.

I'm not causing trouble, it's just that it could be 1000 anything, seeing as I'm in England, that to me would be £1000

And also it doesn't say on his profile what country he is from.

its possible to build u a computer for what ur wantin... read my signature, that only cost me $1,200... i bought it towards the end of March!! and my computer runs games perfectly fine.. just stay around the area of my parts.. and u can get it done

Yon: I'll say it again. Look at Kblueboi's title "virgin techie"... just below that it says that he is from "bergen county NJ". Just like you've got "From: England"

BLuEnGrEEnPC:

How is that you have no bars (no grey squares) indicating length of your time here. You even have a title "The True Techie"... Are you related to one of the Mods or to the Admins???

I've been here longer than you have and yet you have no square bars below your avvy.

if your looking to save money, u may wont to just use ur old monitor or get a CRT. a cheep lcd screen prolly costs just as much as the CPU, Mobo, ram, Powersupply, and case, put together.

if u go into edit profile... u can change ur title.. and the bars arent there, they dont show up when u put a title you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom