New processor means new harddrive too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhtml

Baseband Member
Even though I'm not planning on getting a new processor any time soon, I have some questions that I would like answered before I go looking for one:

1. If I get a new processor, do I have to reinstall Windows for the new system to work with the new processor? (I'm pretty sure I do, but just making sure)

2. Assuming I have to wipe my harddrives (I have 2), could I instead; buy a new HD, put it in the computer with the new processor, install Windows, put the 2 old HDs as slaves to the new one, and copy the old data onto the new HD? Then I wouldn't have to back everything up with DVDs and USB Drives... Because the only reason that you have to reinstall Windows is because of it recognizing the correct processor. So, accessing the files shouldn't be changed at all, right?

You're actually making it harder than it really sounds. You don't have to reinstall or do anything. Just drop in the processor, reset the BIOS, and you're set. I do it all the time.

It's only the motherboard, that would require a reformat and reinstall.

shoot, i didnt even have to re-install when i changed mobos...i did after a bit anyway, but i didnt neccessarily have to.
always a good idea if you are replacing the most vital component (the mainboard), tho.
yeah, i switch procs often as well...as long as your mobo supports it, no problemo.

as long as your not switchign the amount of cores, or else yoru computer will only pick up the regular ammoutn of cores ex, if you go from duel to quad, xp will only pick up 2 cores, happend when i switched from my single core 4000+ to my q6600.

as long as your not switchign the amount of cores, or else yoru computer will only pick up the regular ammoutn of cores ex, if you go from duel to quad, xp will only pick up 2 cores, happend when i switched from my single core 4000+ to my q6600.

Really? I switched from an E6400 to a Q6600. XP picked up the extra two cores, fine.

Maybe because you're going from a 4000+ to a Q6600, which are two entirely different platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom